Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MAC codes on way out?

Luzern
Hero
Fixes: 9

MAC codes on way out?

Over in Digital Spy is a thread that suggests MAC Codes will become unnecessary some time in 2014.
My apologies if this has been commented on before, but my forgettery does not think it has. Grin
No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
7 REPLIES 7
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: MAC codes on way out?

rogadodge
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Government wants to push through changes to make it 'easier' to switch internet providers.
They want to make switching the same as with most other service providers, you contact the new provider and they contact the old one and do all the switching etc.
I foresee loads of problems here.  Anyone else?  Huh
Routefinder
Grafter

As long as the changes do not open the BB service to greater "slamming" than OFCOM says is currently very limited 'now'???
alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

When I read that transfers were going to be driven by the winning ISP I was immediately concerned. Although it is said that they will have to keep evidence that the customer authorised the move I think that the chances of lines being taken over either by slamming or simply in error must be greater than with the current arrangement of obtaining a MAC from the losing ISP.
On the other hand the sales department of a winning ISP has more incentive to make it easy for customers to contact them than the losing ISP's retentions department has to hand out MACs.
itsme
Grafter

Services that the new provider does all the arrangements are normally just a change of billing company. Internet and mobile telephone where the customer pass on a MAC of PAC number require reconfiguration of equipment, so not just a straight forward change of a billing company
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Two topics on the same subject merged
redsetter
Grafter

No more MAC codes as Ofcom streamlines switching broadband and home phone
its quoting by end of 2014.
http://recombu.com/digital/news/no-more-mac-codes-as-ofcom-streamlines-switching-broadband-and-home-...