Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MAC code needed for transferring to Plusnet

FIXED
Anonymous
Not applicable

MAC code needed for transferring to Plusnet

I just referred a couple of members of my family to Plusnet and saw the referral email that Plusnet sends.

1.  It has a spelling mistake in the first line: 

Colin [surname] as asked us to contact you about Plusnet's service

2. at the end of the email it says:

Already got broadband?
--------------------
Not a problem - switching to Plusnet is a doddle. 

Just ask your current provider for a MAC key and place an order with us online. We'll then contact your provider and sort out the transfer for you.

I don't want to advise them wrongly, but equally don't want them to waste time trying to get a MAC code from their existing ISP, BT, if they don't need it.  Can anyone confirm if a MAC key is still required?

Thanks

11 REPLIES 11
198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

Re: MAC code needed for transferring to Plusnet

Fix

That's a very odd email, as the 'MAC' system hasn't been needed for migration for quite a while now.

It's now 'gainer led', and Plusnet will inform the losing ISP and handle everything. It's only a matter of cancelling the DD to the losing ISP once the monies are settled.

Plusnet operate a referral scheme - if your family members quote your username on signing up, you'll get a monthly reduction in your charges.

EDIT: ps DO NOT call BT to cancel, or all kinds of trouble will ensue.

Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks 198kHz

I thought so.  I do wonder sometimes if Plusnet ever read their own emails.  What's the best way of getting Plusnet to fix this misleading referral email, anyone?

Yes, I've had a modest amount of referral income in the past (59 quid so far), though currently not getting any, as friends tend to change ISPs when they move house and often seem to go to BT for some reason.  It used to be only 25p for broadband but is now 75p per person.

JonoH
Hero
Fixes: 157

Wow! thats pretty old I'm sorry the for the poor experience.

If you can tell me how you got that email to send I'd be really happy to get it flagged. thank you for telling us!

Jono H
 Plusnet Community Manager
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks JonoH

Appreciate your passing it on.  Hope it gets fixed soon.  I've been raving to my sisters about how good Plusnet have been over the years for customer service (can't remember when I joined but it was 2002 I referred my first friend) so it was a bit embarrassing to see that referral email go out.

JonoH
Hero

As you've requested I've deleted that account ad re-added your email to your own account Smiley You should now be able to reset the password.

Please can you post to let us know what the customer did to prompt that poor email?

Thanks

Jono H
colin_thames
Dabbler

Hi Jono

The email in question was generated by Plusnet when I go into referrals here: https://www.plus.net/my.html?action=mydiscount_static_info&r_action=Make_A_Referral   I added the email address for the person I wanted to refer, any message I wanted to include and then hit send.  The web page then showed me the email that Plusnet said was sent to my friend.  That was what had the spelling error and the reference to needing a Mac code.  I don't know if that was what they actually got.  If you like I could follow up and ask them to forward it to me?

AishaK
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 12

Hi @colin_thames,

Thank you for messaging us.

Yes, if you can please forward us that email so we can flag this up and clear the issue.

Your friend can also call us to say you have referred them, stating your username so we can move forward with this and create an account for them.

Should you require any further information, please let us know.

Thank you,

Aisha

Jonpe
Hero
Fixes: 9

When I signed up on line I was asked if PN had been recommended to me by an existent PN customer and to input their user name.  Unfortunately my colleague who'd recommended PN was on holiday so I was unable to obtain his user name and earn him a few pounds. Grin

colin_thames
Dabbler

Hi AishaK,

I got my sister to forward the Plusnet recommendation email.  Plusnet spoofs the referrer's email - it appeared to come from my email address, rather than  Plusnet, which then makes it read a bit oddly.  The email text is below, with personal information [marked by brackets] removed.  I've underlined the typo and the incorrect info about needing a MAC code. If you would like me to forward the original to you, please PM me with your email address.

Hi [name],

[Referrer name] as asked us to contact you about Plusnet's service.
--------------------

Hi [name],
This is a referral for the Plusnet deal. The deal I suggest is a special offer on Fibre unlimited (36MB speed) for £23.99 a month including line rental for an 18 month contract.
When you signup, please include my referral details - account name is: [account name] and ISP is: Plusnet.
Any problems or questions, give me a call
Col x

--------------------

Who are we?
--------------------
We're Plusnet:
* We provide the UK with broadband, phone and superfast up to 76Mb fibre optic broadband at unbeatable prices
* We're a Which? Recommended Broadband Provider with over 16 years industry experience
* Award-winning support 365 days a year, either online or over the phone. It's free to call from any UK landline or mobile.

We're now offering completely unlimited broadband, without a monthly usage limit. You can also go unlimited on our superfast, super affordable fibre optic broadband too. So, you can stream your favourite TV, music and movies, plus game online to your heart's content.

Already got broadband?
--------------------
Not a problem - switching to Plusnet is a doddle.

Just ask your current provider for a MAC key and place an order with us online. We'll then contact your provider and sort out the transfer for you.

Find out more and sign up now:

==================================
Find out more about Plusnet products
==================================

Hope to see you soon,

Plusnet
http://www.plus.net

Email ref: E0182
--
Plusnet plc
Registered Office: The Balance, 2 Pinfold Street, Sheffield, S1 2GU
Registered in England no: 3279013

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Thanks @colin_thames

I've made @JonoH aware via e-mail (As well as tagging him in this post), so he'll be able to take a look when he's back from his holiday.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
JonoH
Hero

This has been raised to our internal Incident Management team (IMT-2390) has been accepted and marked as a P4.

Thanks for flagging this.

Jono H