Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MAC address of router label does not match transmitted address

tetra

MAC address of router label does not match transmitted address

Dear all,

I’m really confused…

I have a Technicolor router which states its MAC: address ends 48 on its label.

All the devices I have linked to it via WIFI up till today state that the default gateway (router's) MAC address ends 48.

However I tried to connect a new device today (a tp-link) and that suddenly stated that the default gateway's MAC ends 49.

When I logged into the router and selected Wireless access point I found that my router is now sending a MAC address ending 49.

Bizarrely all my WIFI devices work, with the exception of the tp-link which cannot see the WIFI router, even though the router can see the tp-link.

Does anyone know why my router has suddenly changed its MAC address?

And does anyone have any experience using a tp-link with a Technicolor router.

Many thanks in advance.

8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: MAC address of router label does not match transmitted address

Can we assume you are getting your MAC address mixed up with your IP address? The formats are as follows.

MAC Address = XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX

IP Address = 123.123.123.123

tetra

Hello,

Thank you for replying - however I have not confused the two. I am talking about the hex digits next to the Physical Address field in the router  or by typing 'arp -a' on a windows command line.

Naturally I cannot broadcast the full address but mine has changed from xx-xx-xx-xx-xx-48 (which matches the label on the router) to xx-xx-xx-xx-xx-49 (which does not).

The person on the Plusnet help desk did not know why and suggested posting here, however he did say that Plusnet have been migrating customers from BT kit to their own. No idea if that has anything to do with it.

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

The Wifi MAC address will be different from the routers internal switch address.

My Hub One has 3 MAC addresses, one for the switch and one each for the Wifi bands (2.4 & 5GHz.)
tetra

Many thanks for the reply. Could you elaborate a bit, I'm not sure what you mean by 'switch'

I am 99% sure that my router's wifi mac address has changed as all my devices that I've set up prior to today report that they are linked to a mac ending 48, but the tp-link, which I tried to set up today, reports that the mac ends 49. All are connected via wifi and store their settings, rather than rescanning each time.

Hmm thinking about it I have no idea what you mean by lithium either, unless you are referring to the rare Earth metal used in batteries.....

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

What specific TP-Link device have you connected?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

Broadly speaking, the switch is the part of the router where ethernet cables are connected and Lithium is the core software which this forum uses.
tetra

Many thanks for the replies.

The tp-link is an 810n(UK). I have, almost, got it working. After 2 hours (!) on the internet chat with the tp-link helpdesk I can now use it in client mode to connect a non-wifi pc to the web wirelessly. It also works with some really old hardware which has no usb port for a wifi dongle.

However - There is a usb port on the tp-link that allows you to plug in a usb drive and share via ftp over your network. I have almost set this up but the tp-link will not allow me to change the ip address from its default of 0.0.0.0. Any ideas?

Also I still have no idea why my main router's MAC address has changed from ending 48 to ending 49. Has anyone else had the same thing happen?

Many thanks in advance.

adrianscotter
Pro
Fixes: 2

Hello tetra, I'm not sure why this is an issue unless for some system you access that uses MAC address filtering.  The only thing you need be concerned about is the devices IP address.  MAC addressing is pretty much invisible to most end users.  Do you have a specific reason for asking?

Live long and prosper!