Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MAC address filtering on Technicolor TG582n

JackHennety
Dabbler

MAC address filtering on Technicolor TG582n

Hi all,
In anticipation of receiving a Technicolor TG582n for use with my new Plusnet Fibre in a couple of weeks, can anyone tell me if it's possible to set MAC address filtering on it?
I like to be able to remove an address from the list (namely my stepson's XBox) to force him off his online games when he should be going to bed/doing homework etc.
But it looks to me from the online guides that there's no MAC filtering on this router.  Am I right?
Thanks in advance...
9 REPLIES 9
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: MAC address filtering on Technicolor TG582n

Hi there,
The router interface doesn't allow MAC filtering I'm afraid. However you may be able to do this using the parental controls in the "toolbox" section of the router config.
Adam
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
JackHennety
Dabbler

Thanks, I thought as much.
I think the parental controls only allow certain websites to be blocked, by address, which isn't what I'm after.
apjashley1
Grafter

Jack, if you upgrade to a modern firmware you can set access times per MAC address. I'm not sure if the fibre firmware is on the same timeline as the ADSL firmware, so if not it's still possible to do this on the stock firmware - although you'll need to use telnet rather than the GUI.
JackHennety
Dabbler

Thanks apjashley1.
However, I've gone and bought myself a Netgear instead, which I know will do what I want.  Shame as I didn't really want to pay anything extra, but I'm hoping it'll be a decent investment.

Sebtomato
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

To be honest, if the router provided by Plusnet does not even support MAC address filtering, it must be pretty basic and therefore better to buy a proper router.
JackHennety
Dabbler

Yep, that was my reasoning too.
apjashley1
Grafter

Quote from: Sebtomato
...if the router provided by Plusnet does not even support MAC address filtering...

(it does, of course)
Sebtomato
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

So it does have MAC address filtering on Wifi or it does not??? Roll_eyes
dick:quote
RobH
Dabbler

I just had a look at my interface and under home network you can click on each client, choose configure and then there is a check box for "Allowed on WLAN", i am guessing this is the MAC filtering but it is a yes or no and not a time allowance.