Lower speed after contract renewal 70/20 to 53/20

FIXED
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Re: Lower speed after contract renewal 70/20 to 53/20

Hi there,

I've tested your line and the tests aren't showing any issues but interestingly I can see your speed had started to decline at about the same time when you renewed your contract. This would be entirely coincidence though.

I wouldn't personally be concerned about those drops due to how far they're spaced out from each other and two of them are overnight so could be down to overnight maintenance somewhere in the infrastructure. 

I've arranged for your line to be reset to remove the 60mbps banding that's been placed by the automated dynamic line management software, and this should allow your speed to sync higher within the next 3 working days. 

Let us know how it goes. 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Surreyman
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

Thank you.  I'll check daily and see if it improves.

Surreyman
Dabbler

There has been no change.  It seems stuck at 53Mbps down and 20Mbps up.  I've done hard and soft resets on the hub but no change. 

There has been some work done lately in preparation for fttp involving laying fibre cables in the ducts.  I wonder if they disturbed something in the cabinet.

LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Thanks for getting back to us. I'm sorry that you've not seen any improvements at all!

I've tested your line today and whilst it looks like the profile is still banded at 60mb, so looks like the request hasn't changed things. Based on this, I think we need to look at sending an engineer for you. 

I have created a fault ticket here:  https://www.plus.net/wizard/?p=view_question&id=223966622 and if you can reply on there with the requested info (and give me a nudge on here once done) I'll get that picked up and progressed for you.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
Surreyman
Dabbler

Hi Lauren,

I've posted a reply on the question page but I see the question is now on hold till the end of next week, so my suggested appointment dates 3, 4, 5 May might not be possible.  Please email me if you want some new dates.

Kind regards

John

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hi John,

Sorry for the confusion here and I'm not sure why the adviser placed the ticket on hold until the end of the week, but I've booked the engineer visit for you now and I've put the ticket on hold until after the timeslot. 

Let me know how it goes. 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Surreyman
Dabbler

Hi Anoush,

I've just posted a reply on the question page about there being some confusion about my minimum guaranteed speed.  The emails I've received say 43.7Mbps but my contract says 58.3Mbps, which is why I'm complaining about only getting 53Mbps. 

My renewed contract was surprisingly cheaper than my previous one, so was the new one for a lower speed and the contract is wrong?

Kind regards,

John

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

The price does not matter here, but the product does.  All of the speeds mention would relate to fibre extra, as plain fibre is on the 40/10 product from BTw.

The decrease in the MGS most likely arises from increased cross talk as more and more people moved to VDSL, the sustainable speed falls as a consequence of cross circuit interference.  Such is a fact of physics.  The only way of managing the cross talk is to reduce the signal power, which in turn reduces the speed.

However a persistent fault on the line, delivering slower speeds might lead to a lower MGS as these are factored on actual speed history.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hi John,

I've tried to call you on your mobile to talk about this, but I couldn't get through.

I'm really sorry again for the confusion. The lower minimum guaranteed speed figure is just an incorrect value in our systems, but we'll always uphold the figure which we agree on when you start a contract with us.

Regardless though the next step is to arrange an engineer visit to investigate further which I've done for you.

I'll try calling you after the visit.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Surreyman
Dabbler

Hi Anoush,

Something strange just happened - I lost internet connection for a few seconds and when it came back I checked the speed and it's now 62.63Mbps down, 20.81Mbps up, so something changed.  Has the banding been lifted?

Kind regards,

John

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hi John,

Ah that's good to see! I can't test your line to check if the banding's been removed, because of the open fault in the supplier systems. When there is an open fault, tests just don't run, they give a "Test Rejected" error. 

I can either let the engineer go out to take a look for you or cancel the engineer if you're happy with your speed now? 

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Surreyman
Dabbler

Hi Anoush,

If an engineer can improve it further so that I get the 70/20Mbps I used to have I'll be happy for an engineer to come.

Kind regards,

John

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hi John,

No worries, I can't guarantee the engineer can get your speed back up to what you had before but I'm sure they'll try. 

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Surreyman
Dabbler

Fix

Hi Anoush,

I've decided that the 62/20Mbps I'm getting now is within my contract speeds and I'll accept it as it now seems constant, so please cancel the engineer call.

Thanks for your help.

John

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hi John,

It’s probably too late to cancel the engineer as it’d likely already be allocated to the engineering workstack plus I’m not in the office now until tomorrow. 

If you’re still around tomorrow, you might as well leave the engineer booked and see if they’re able to find anything wrong which had caused your speed to drop firstly and secondly if they can improve it further. Smiley

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet