cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Low speeds, drop-outs. Would fibre help?

glocal
Rising Star

Low speeds, drop-outs. Would fibre help?

Since the day I moved into this apartment four years ago, I am getting ridiculously low connection speeds (5.5Mb out of the theoretical max of 17Mb) and 3-4 very annoying disconnections every day. I am quoting below the report produced by the router. I am not sure if there is anything that can be done about this, and I am wondering whether switching to fibre at 38Mb max will be worth it as a way to improve my connection significantly at last. Or does an upgraded connection usually inherit the limitations of the previous connection, in which case I shouldn't expect to get more than a third of 38Mb?

Uptime: 2 days, 17:04:18
DSL Type: G.992.5 annex A
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 443 / 5,347
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [kB/kB]: 0.00 / 221.00
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 13.0 / 0.0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 17.5 / 34.0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 24.5 / 13.0
Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / IFTN
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 68 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 4,294,967,264 / 0
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 4,294,967,264 / 3,533
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 2,407
3 REPLIES 3
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: Low speeds, drop-outs. Would fibre help?

Hi there,

Although up to 17Mb/s is the way the package is advertised, when you sign up we provide a tailored estimate for your line based off the information available here: http://dslchecker.bt.com/

On ADSL your estimates are between 6Mb/s and 8Mb/s, so as you're getting 5.5Mb/s you're pretty close to them.

ADSL Products

Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Range(Mbps)

Availability Date

Left in Jumper

WBC ADSL 2+ Up to 7 -- 6 to 8 Available -- -- -- --

As FTTC is based on the speed from the local cabinet (not the exchange as per ADSL), your estimates for this are actually very good:

Featured Products

Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Range(Mbps)

WBC FTTC Availability Date

WBC SOGEA Availability Date

WBC FTTC 18x2 Provide Availability

WBC FTTC 18x2 Sim Availability

Left in Jumper

High Low High Low        
VDSL Range A (Clean) 80 71.7 20 20 -- Available -- -- -- --
VDSL Range B (Impacted) 80 49 20 16.9 -- Available -- -- -- --

So if you went for the up to 38Mb/s product, you should expect to get pretty close to that figure (maybe a couple of Mb/s below due to overheads).

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
glocal
Rising Star

I never received that tailored estimate for this line, probably because I've been with PN for so many years and transferred my PN connection to this address.

This estimate looks good. I suppose that currently line quality degrades between exchange and cabinet. If fibre compensates for that and the last bit from the cabinet to my home is fine, then I can see how the estimates make sense. Fibre then should be the answer for the low speeds (and hopefully the regular disconnections).   

Now I will have to check if I can upgrade before my current broadband contract expires in March and my Line Rental Saver expires in June (and on what terms). Something tells me the offers advertised on the website won't automatically apply to existing customers either.

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Now I will have to check if I can upgrade before my current broadband contract expires in March and my Line Rental Saver expires in June (and on what terms). Something tells me the offers advertised on the website won't automatically apply to existing customers either.

If you give the customer options team a call they can go over the options with you, 0800 013 2632

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.