cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Low speed on new fibre

rossstone

Low speed on new fibre

Probably way too early to worry, but BT Openreach left this morning having set things up. However while he was testing he was surprised the line speed was so low. The upload and ping look fine, but the download seems unusually slow.
Was told that as I am only 50 metres from the cabinet, it should be very near 80/20 but his box only shows 20/15. He replaced the master socket, but it made no difference and his tests showed 9 errors in five minutes, which is under the 50 they would allow for so he did not think there were any line issues. Telephone line was clear and fine. He did say speeds fluctuate for a couple of weeks, but normally the line speed on his box should show close to maximum attainable line speed straight off?
On the plusnet website, it says...
Estimated line speed: 80Mb (Accurate to within +/- 1Mbit) - Checked on 2013-02-25 17:34:16
Current line speed: 78 Mb
Speedtest.net currently shows...
Download: 23.56 Mbps
Upload: 16.32 Mbps
Ping: 13ms
Pingtest.net currently shows...
Packet Lost: 0%
Ping: 15ms
Jitter: 0ms
BT Wholesale Speedtest currently shows...
Download: 23.87 Mbps
Upload: 15.30 Mbps
Ping: 19ms
The BT Wholesale Diagnostic Test fails as my number is too new I imagine. On the plusnet website, it still has my old BT number shown as well.
Have been told that speeds will fluctuate slightly for first few weeks, but the download seems unusually slow, lower than "slightly". Both are faster than what I had though, so can't complain too much. Upload is amazing compared to ADSL.
Should I wait 10 days before contacting Plusnet support, or should I submit a ticket now?
Thanks
Ross
11 REPLIES 11
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Low speed on new fibre

Hi there,
It sounds like the service may have been provisioned on the wrong speeds. There isn't a speed estimate showing on your account which might account for that (that may be due to BT decommissioning and implementing a new cabinet for example)
Our suppliers ordering system is down at present so I'll come back to this later and check it there for you. If I'm right in my assumption its usually a quick fix.
Either way I'll make sure I get back to you ASAP.
Adam

EDIT:
Just coming back to say I've been able to check this and it wasn't the issue I expected so I'm going to advise raising a fault http://faults.plus.net
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
rossstone

Quote from: _Adam_Walker_
EDIT:
Just coming back to say I've been able to check this and it wasn't the issue I expected so I'm going to advise raising a fault http://faults.plus.net

Ok, thanks.
I tried to raise a fault at that web address, but I get the below error message. Will give it another try tomorrow.
Broadband Troubleshooter - Error
There's been a problem
We're sorry, but you can't use the Broadband Troubleshooter to report a fault on your service. Please contact our Support Team for help.
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Sorry about the issues with the Broadband Troubleshooter - it should be fine to use now though.
rossstone

Still not working for me I am afraid.
First it asks me if my broadband is supplied on xxxxx333800 which it is as of today, so I choose yes and then submit.
Then it asks for my contact details. The landline number defaults to xxxxx335506 which was the old number as of yesterday. So I change that to the new landline number, fill in the rest and click submit.
Then it shows the same error message. Tried in both IE10 and Chrome.
Will try again tomorrow morning though.
dick:quote
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

It's no problem, I'll get it raised for you, it should save you a bit of time Smiley
Edit:
I've also fixed your account so that if you need to raise a fault in future, it should work!
rossstone

Quote from: Chris
It's no problem, I'll get it raised for you, it should save you a bit of time Smiley

Ah, brilliant. Thanks for your help.  Smiley
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

No problem Smiley
rossstone

Engineer is coming tomorrow morning, so all fine there.
Just a random thought however, and probably nothing to worry about as I don't know anything about this, but should the below number shown in the image still be wrong?

Also, I finally managed to do a speed test on the BT site without getting an error on my new number like I did when I started this thread. Not sure if its of any use now though. It says there are no issues? Does not seem to know its meant to be 80/20?

All a bit weird? [mremoved] posted in the question #66965378 saying he changed a profile from 24200 to 78000. I presume his WP Profile is something different to BT's IP Profile that shows as 24.27Mbps on there speedtest thing. I work in IT, but this stuff  goes way over my head. Sad
Hopefully the engineer tomorrow will have more luck. Will print off all this stuff in case its useful to him.
Thanks again.
Ross
dick:CSA
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Hi,
I've checked your account and everything now seems to up-to-date regarding  your number and profile. It seems we're going to need the engineer tomorrow to resolve this.
Let us know how it goes.
rossstone

Took the engineer a couple of hours, but he found the problem and fixed it.

Rather impressed by speed of Plusnet / BT Openreach support.
Thanks all!
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Happy to see that's sorted for you Smiley
Give us a nudge if there's anything else.