cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Low(er) speed - fault?

Mardler
Rising Star

Low(er) speed - fault?

This afternoon, c.15.30, I lost browser connectivity (Chrome) and after stopping an internet radio stream on the PC it wouldn't restart.
Other devices, laptop and iPad, had a similar problem with Chrome and an internet radio wouldn't stream.
Oddly, email on the PC was fine (Outlook).
Possible DNS issue?
After two router reboots (second one for several minutes) BB is back but speed has dropped from an average 16.35 to just under 13.
PN - any chance of checking to see if my profile has capped d/l speed?
TIA.
9 REPLIES 9
Mardler
Rising Star

Re: Low(er) speed - fault?

Still c.13mbps this morning.
This is 3mbps slower than a couple of days ago - PN?
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi Mardler,
I've just run some diagnostics which have picked up on a fault with the copper line so you'll need to speak with your phone provider.
Have you experienced any noise on the line making/receiving calls?
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Mardler
Rising Star

I've been told that very recently by PN but haven't taken it up with BT.
However, on asking some neighbours to check they appear to be far worse off. I'm still getting 13mbps but two others are getting <1 and 1.3 - both were getting 16 to 18.
I shall organise a strong submission to BT.
Thanks.
Mardler
Rising Star

Btw, Ada, there are no problems with the phone line e.g. noise or making calls.
You didn't answer my question: has my profile been reset to a lower speed?
Oh - and does anyone have a phone number to report a broadband fault to OpenReach and/or BT?!
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Err, no you cannot do that.  You need to report a voice line fault to BT.
If you mention BB they will direct you to your ISP.. Your ISP has already run tests which indicate a copper wire issue which is the responsibility of the phone provider, even though there might be no apparent issue with the phone.  This is one of the nasty pitfalls of using separate providers for voice and broadband.
You can report a voice line fault on line on the BT Retail web site - see here https://home.bt.com/login/loginform?TYPE=33554433&REALMOID=06-a3f89b6e-6f33-1058-ae2d-843babc40000&G...

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Mardler
Rising Star

Just came back to update the situation, so firstly thanks to Townman for your contribution - I got there before I saw it but good stuff.
I managed to find the BT line checker via my online bill emails, impossible by Googling!
Anyway, BT's phone (voice - and no clear indication there either!) line checker came up with an outside the house fault which has been logged. I've told my neighbours.
I'll come back if & when we get a resolution but ITM thanks to PN as well (see my other thread to which I'll cross post).
Mods: please lock this topic.
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

You won't be able to update it if it's locked..
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Quote from: Mardler
............. (see my other thread to which I'll cross post).
Mods: please lock this topic.

see http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,145748.msg1291303.html#msg1291303
Mav
Fixes: 515

Mod Note
Topic locked in favour of http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,145748.0.html

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still