cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Low download speed...

Anonymous
Not applicable

Low download speed...

...and long "lag" after clicking on web links before page starts to load. I've never been anywhere near the 7Mb that my line is supposedly capable of but I used to be much closer to 4Mb,
Details below and attached:
Estimated line speed:
   There's no speed estimate currently held on your account.
Current line speed:
   3 Mb
21 REPLIES 21
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Re: Low download speed...

Hi Digsy,
I'm a little curious as to why you've never had better speeds to be honest. your line is definitely capable of obtaining speeds of around 7Mbps. Could you connect your router into your Test socket and post up some further stats for us, I'm interested to see if your connection rate to the exchange increases at all.
If it doesn't could you try an alternative microfilter as well?
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Chris,
Here are the results using the BT test socket. A bit better, but still far from 7Mb's!  Smiley
I don't have a different filter to try att he moment. What I will do is re test again today after 7:00pm and then again using the normal socket.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Speed test result from this evenig (9:30pm) using the test socket.
Anonymous
Not applicable

OK, just went back to the standard socket and the speed dropped back to 1.7Mb then the test socket again and imediately back up to 2.9.
Looks like there are two prolems here:
1) I have an issue with my home phone wiring (I have a phone socket in every room but only two have something plugged in).
2) My line profile is set to 3Mb which is stopping me from getting a faster speed even though it should be possible when connecting via the test socket.
I will leave it plugged into the test socket until  have got my phone extension wiring checked out. In the meamtime is there a way I can get my line profile reset so I can see how fast my connectiin can realy go?
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

The important information when you move between the standard socket and the test socket is not a speed test result but the router stats. Those show  sync speeds of 3712kbps in the standard socket and 6528kbps in the test socket. The latter figure ("connection rate to the exchange") is the one that Chris Petitt's "around 7Mbps" related to.
The IP Profile for 3712kbps is 3Mbps, and for 6528kbps it is 5.5Mbps. However being 20CN it can take 3-5 days for that change to work its way through the system. Until it does download speed measured in speedtests will not go above 3Mbps.
I'm puzzled why the speedtest results in the standard and test sockets differ significantly (the IP Profile doesn't change). Are the tests done on the same computer? Assuming you are using a Windows computer what version of Windows?
David
Anonymous
Not applicable

Quote from: spraxyt
I'm puzzled why the speedtest results in the standard and test sockets differ significantly (the IP Profile doesn't change). Are the tests done on the same computer? Assuming you are using a Windows computer what version of Windows?

Yes, all tests done on the same computer, running Windows XP SP2 - same as I always have.
spraxyt
Resting Legend

Since the operating system on the PC is XP, have its network card RWIN and MTU settings been tweaked to improve performance? Are you using a wired connection to the router?
(Note these questions are secondary to the internal wiring issue.)
David
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, the connection is wired.
I know my way around a PC but I'm not a networking guru so I haven't changed the settings on the network card. I don't have any other network issues that I can detect (files transfer fine to and from my NAS for example).

spraxyt
Resting Legend

There's information on setting RWIN for XP in the Community Library Article Guide to RWIN & MTU. I reckon RWIN=87600 would probably be suitable for your connection.
David
Anonymous
Not applicable

So the way I’m interpreting this is that when I’m connected to the test socket and my shonky DIY telephone extensions aren’t fouling things up I can get a repeatable 2.89Mbps from the speed test, measured at my PC, which is as near as makes no difference the same as the maximum bandwidth allowed by my line profile. Are you suggesting that by tweaking the network card settings in my PC I could get back the extra 0.11Mbps so my speed test result matches my maximum bandwidth (i.e. there are no other bottlenecks in the system)?
I think my jobs in order of priority are to:
Stay in the test socket until my line profile increases.
Find and fix the phone extension wiring problem (which I have started doing with no luck so far).
Thing is, I understand that IF there is a significant problem with the settings on my network card, I could be getting a faster connection to the exchange, but my PC would never see it. How likely is that though? My LAN is 100Mbps. Even if it was 50% idle its maximum speed would still be an order of magnitude above my broadband connection. I’m struggling to see how my LAN could be the bottleneck?
Anonymous
Not applicable

OK, still in the test socket. My profile has now increased (not as far as I thought it might) but I'm still only getting 2.9Mbps on the speed test.
spraxyt
Resting Legend

Your BT IP Profile has now increased to 5.5Mbps, the value I expected. However the Plusnet Current line speed in the Member Centre here needs to increase to match before you will see increased speeds. That should happen in 12-24 hours.
I suspect changing RWIN might have a more significant effect at the higher speeds (once you get there). Running the DSL Reports tweak test mentioned in the library article should provide some guidance.
David
Anonymous
Not applicable

OK its been two days now and my BT line profile is 5.5Mbps but my Plusnet line speed is still stuck at 3Mbps. So much for automtaically changing after 12 to 24 hours! Smiley
Please can someone at Plusnet  increase my line speed?
Thanks.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Digsy, just bumped that up for you. Hope it improves things.