cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Low Throughput, High sync speed, Nil Output Power

Mangoletsi
Grafter

Re: Low Throughput, High sync speed, Nil Output Power

It's a special BT engineer who looks for specific faults.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

@Mangoletsi
A normal BT Openreach engineer checks for line faults with his Hawk Tester as well as other equipment and is quite capable of dealing with faults of that nature, along with many other type of line fault. That is their job. I suggest you have a chat with some, you may learn something.
An SFI engineer is only needed with more complex faults and usually the ones that an normal OR eng cannot readily fix.
Anotherone
Champion

@Swingletree
So have BT Retail arranged for an OR engineer to find and fix the fault? (presumably given you a date/time slot?)
Mangoletsi
Grafter

@Anotherone
Yes, I have spoken with a BT telephone engineer recently, that is how I know.
I suggest you go and speak to a BT telephone engineer and ask him why he isn't allowed to deal with broadband faults.
In the past yes, they probably would of done. In the modern day, no they dont as they have different engineers dedicated for different tasks.
tozers123
Dabbler

Interestingly I have just taken a telephone call from BT who now claim the line to be fixed. So I will return to Plusnet to inform them there is no longer a problem. I just hope that this is not the start of a run around.
Keep your fingers crossed that the BB issue is now FIXED!!!
Anotherone
Champion

@:Mangoletsi
This is/was NOT a broadband fault - this is/was a PHONE fault.  You should go on some engineering courses and learn a few things.
tozers123
Dabbler

Hang on folks, as far as I am concerned ie Joe Public  it /is WAS a BB fault, there was never any problem with my telephone.
adie:quote
Anotherone
Champion

That you noticed. Faults on the cabling from the MDF in the exchange to and including the NTE5 are PHONE faults.
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Sometimes there can be a fault on your Telephone line that may not be noticeable to you, however, the fault might be affecting your Broadband whilst not having any affect on the use of your Telephone.
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

As far as I'm aware a Copper Line Test failure indicates a line fault that has to be fixed by the line supplier which is whoever line rental is paid to. Technically it is nothing to do with the telephone. In this case BT Retail are the line suppliers so they are responsible for fixing the fault. A BT Retail line test should show the same fault.
BT Retail do not have any contractual relationship with Plusnet for the customer's line so sadly it falls to the customer to report the line problem to BT Retail and get them to carry out a test. Getting them to do that when the telephone appears to be OK can be difficult, but it is surprising what phone-related symptoms become apparent when one thinks about it. Wink
However hopefully the line problem has now been fixed and the broadband service with it. Smiley
David
tozers123
Dabbler

Can anyone explain what should happen now, will Plusnet notice  the fault is fixed (I have amended the ticket to show I have been informed fault is fixed), should I notice a different straight away or have I to wait for something else to happen.
Looking at my Router Stat then my sync speed is now down to 16,048 and the noise is at 6.5
Thank you guys for all your words and comments, it's been a learning curve for me!
Anotherone
Champion

No problem. I'd suggest check your Current Line speed (Login required) and post you current stats. The Current Line speed ought to be at least 14.1 based on that sync speed you've quoted.
tozers123
Dabbler

Estimated line speed:
    7Mb (Accurate to within +/- 1Mbit) - Checked on 2012-06-18 18:39:11
Current line speed:
    15.2 Mb
Anotherone
Champion

Well a speed test should be ok then, have you tried one? Try the BT Speedtester (Diagnostic) and copy and paste the full results here. If for some reason that won't run, try the BT Beta test., just type the results for that, it's a Flash image that one, so you can't copy and paste.
tozers123
Dabbler