cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Low Speed today :(

sjrinfroyle
Grafter

Re: Low Speed today :(

If the extension goes dead then everything is wired up correctly. What is your current connection uptime?
Danny2012
Dabbler

Quote from: sjrinfroyle
If the extension goes dead then everything is wired up correctly. What is your current connection uptime?

only 30 mins because i had to disconnect to try the extention with the face plate on and off. I think i have just about exhusted all avenues here so will leave it alone now also i will leave it connected to the test socket untill its hopefully sorted.
Thanks for the replys any additional help is welcome Smiley
sjrinfroyle
Grafter

It might be a stab in the dark but I am going to suggest that your connection has been banded. Had your connection been disconnecting a lot before the slow speed started?
Danny2012
Dabbler

Quote from: Danny2012
Telephone number:
    0163*******
Phone exchange:
    UPPER CWMTWRCH
Estimated line speed:
    8Mb (Accurate to within +/- 1Mbit) - Checked on 2011-09-24 11:58:53
Current line speed:
    5.5 Mb
I spoke with telephone support today and they told me a 5.5 limit was placed on the line due to some recent disconnections. This still does'nt explain the 128Kbps speeds im getting and they have enabled somthing called interleaving and asked me to wait and see if things improve over the next few days. So i guess ill just wait for a bit Smiley
Thanks for the replys Strat I will post back here if anything changes

There had been some disconnections due to some decorating which ment the router was moved around a bit. But 5.5 should still give higher speeds than 128kbps  thats some major banding on a normally steady 7000 kbps line. This is why i belive there is more to this problem
sjrinfroyle
Grafter

Have you raised a fault? They should be able to sort it out.
Danny2012
Dabbler

I raised a fault yesterday so hopefully something is being done. Although they still suggest this problem is caused by banding on my line i just dont buy it. I've never herd of such severe banding before. The worst case i can find is a drop from 1.500kbps down to 250kbps which is a drop of 1.250kbps. Mine has dropped from 7000kbps down to 128kbps which is a drop of 6.872kbps ???. This has rendered my connection almost unuseable. And with two children constantly on my case about it i feel compelled to push for a faster solution than to "Just wait and see if things improve".
Telephone number:
   0163*******
Phone exchange:
   UPPER CWMTWRCH
Estimated line speed:
   8Mb (Accurate to within +/- 1Mbit) - Checked on 2011-09-24 11:58:53
Current line speed:
   5.5 Mb
The above information shows my line has been banded to 5.5Mb this i can except and if I was getting even half of this speed i would be more than happy to wait for things to improve. But as it stands all I am able to do is browse the web, I have had problems With online games, Downloading anything, software updates, and even reciving e-mail. Even using my HTC as a wirless hotspot for my laptop currently feels faster than my DSL-Max connection. I think this is the first time in the some 10 years i've been a plusnet customer that i feel im not being listened too. But i guess all i can do is wait and see. I have attached a new Scrrenshot Showing my router with 11 hours uptime and still no change in sync speed.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Danny2012,
if you can confirm that you are still in the test socket, I will reset the SNR back to 6dB. This will increase the speed and remove any banding that has been placed.
Jojo Smiley
Danny2012
Dabbler

Hi Jo
Thanks for the reply  and yes I am still connected to the test socket and there has been no change to my speed, still stuck at 128Kbps. Infact today seems worse than ever although my line stats have not changed even my web browsing is extreamley slow any thing you think will help is much welcome thank you.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Danny2012,
I've reset the SNR, keep an eye on it and see how it goes.
Jojo Smiley
Danny2012
Dabbler

Hi Jo
So I got in from work and checked my line stats and what can I say  Grin all is well once more, infact better I'm now syncing at a very healty 8000kbps although im kinda expecting it to settle back down closer to 7000.  I'm still not totally conviced it was completely down to the banding though if you could maybe elaborate (only to help me understand the problem better) i would be greatfull. I have attached a screenie of my new line stats.
Thanks for your time and for the help  Kiss
Kind Regards Danny
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Danny,
Basically the banding limits your sync rate, which is why the router was limited to 164kbps. This is done automatically by the equipment you connect to in the exchange in response to either line errors or disconnections. That's also why an SNR reset fixed the issue - this resets the exchange kit and means it has to re-establish the connection rate for your line which is why there's been such an improvement.
Hope that helps explain.