cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lousy first impression plusnet speed

Johnmw

Lousy first impression plusnet speed

Ok, so possibly my fault but with previous isp, Be, i could get around 2.5mb download, which was usable, with the same make and model router all i can get with plusnet is around 1.5, where's the 40%difference?
I know i need to wait 10 days but will it really improve that much?
All the on demand features on my tv won't load now
This could be a very long year, i didn't really think that 1.5 mb -which is what i was forecast would be all i could get with plusnet
I suspect i'm screwed but i hope not
Already feeling like i want to leave
6 REPLIES 6
bill888
Champion
Fixes: 38

Re: Lousy first impression plusnet speed

Can you provide some line stats from the router to see what's going on ?
Another factor is when you were with BE, you would have had a ADSL2/2+ LLU connection with 6 dB noise margin.
When you moved to Plusnet, they would have provisioned your line on ADSL1 by default for speeds less than 4mb.
If you are on a 21CN exchange, you can request to have the line provisioned for ADSL2+ to see if there is any speed improvement especially if your line can sustain a lower 3dB noise margin.

ex-Plusnet (ADSL, FTTC) 2008-2023. now BT (FTTP) 2023-
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

could be that be had their own adsl2 kit in the exchange and bt only have adsl1 kit
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
flaminmoses
Grafter

the 10 day rule is not right......its only a couple of days max from what ive been told.
the 10 days takes you right neat the cooling off period....which leaves you little time to make a decision.
if in doubt cancel asap imo
dont let those sitting round a boardroom table outwit you....they are only interested in money at the end of the day to pay their shareholders.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Cancelling now wouldn't exempt you from the costs we've incurred to provision the service.
I've checked the line and the target SNR is at 9db so could be lower. I've just reset this so hopefully that will help. It should put the sync speed up to around 2.5Mbps but even if it does your throughout will only be around the 2.2Mbps mark.
The line is currently provided on ADSL1/21CN. We can regrade the line to ADSL2+ to see if a lower target SNR can be achieved however I'd wait to see how the SNR reset goes first.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Johnmw

Thanks for the replies
will see whether I get any improvement, I know I'll never get a fast connection until I get brave enough to leap to cable in a year or so, maybe...
I only left my previous ISP (Be) because I didn't want to be a sky customer although the offer sky made for 12 months was pretty fantastic.
I'm working round the smart TV problem, going to cable it into a wifi booster as I plugged it directly into the router last night with the supplied UTP &  It seems to work better cabled rather than wireless
I'm just after a reasonably solid 2.5meg ish  connection
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

The changes Bob has made will go some way to get you closer to the speeds you're looking for.
We'll do what we can for you to get you the best possible speeds.