cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lots of dropped connections today - router or line?

bravoecho75
Grafter

Lots of dropped connections today - router or line?

I've been with PN since 2013.  the speed was never brilliant (thanks, BT wiring), but over the last few months the connection has become increasingly erratic/slow.  Today, the line dropped,  and I could see the router (582n) resetting cyclically (all lights off, then power on, then broadband and internet, then all lights off again, plus occasional red power light thrown in).  I finally stopped it by powering off/on again.

Arrghhh – went again whilst composing this message: just green power light, then red, green flashing ethernet, then only green power again. Several bursts of flashing ethernet and broadband lights; red power, red power with slow flashing ethernet finally all seemed good but then dropped again and can't even telnet in whilst it's deciding what to do. Been green power and nothing else for a while, then flurry of ethernet and broadband lights, managed to get telnet connection, typed in username, router shows red power light again and round we go again, eventually succeeding in connecting about half an hour after disconnect.

Aaaannnddd … dropped again after I pasted this into box 1st time and before I hit “”) beyond maddening. So plugged into test socket., worked for a while then died once more, but seems more stable now – after a couple of hours of waiting and fiddling.  Any clues from the plusnet end about the problems?

See attached file for router event log

I have an old BE Thompson router that I think I can can change the settings on that I could try as well, but at a minimum need the broadband password - how do I find it or get it re-sent to me?

8 REPLIES 8
Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

Re: Lots of dropped connections today - router or line?

If it's just the password you require it's the one used to login to the member centre.

The username is membercentreusername@plusdsl.net

Have you tried doing a quiet line test (17070) when the router is disconnecting? Any noise could be affecting the broadband signal

Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

Hello there,

Sorry to hear of the problems you're experiencing.

If the power light on the router keeps going red it sounds like your router may be faulty. Sad

To configure another router, the broadband password would be in the format of YourUsername@plusdsl.net and the password would be your account password.

I hope this helps
This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
bravoecho75
Grafter

Well, it appears only dropped once since I swapped to the test socket, so I'll leave it for a while and see if it remains stable, then go back to the normal socket and watch for the problem coming back.  *Then* I'll try the other router.

With regard to the quiet test, I'll give it a go, but does rely on me being around to watch the router.

Upgrading to fibre would result in a new router, but I presume the stability would still be an issue if it's internal wiring?

Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

Aye. Internal wiring can also affect fibre.

This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
bravoecho75
Grafter

So, if the connection remain (relatively) stable whilst connected via the test port, then deteriorates when I go in via the top rj-11connector, presumably I could try via outboard filter into the phone jack to see if it's the plate itself?

Any pointers to guides on debugging internal wiring Sad

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Yes, that sounds like a good thing to try.

Let us know what happens.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
bravoecho75
Grafter

The line seemed pretty stable in the test socket (albeit threw a wobbl;y yesterday and had to restart the router before it would connect), so I'm erring towards house wiring.  Am upgrading to fibre, so will let that settle in the test socket before putting the house wiring back into the equation.

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

OK, cheers for getting back to us and keep us posted.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team