cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lots of dropped connections all of a sudden

sca1
Dabbler

Lots of dropped connections all of a sudden

Hi, Since yesterday evening I've started getting lots of dropped connections - if I'm lucky a connection will stay up for maybe an hour, if not less than a minute. I guess about 10 mins is typical at the moment. I spoke to the support line and they said my line was fine, though the phone line sounds crackly to me. I notice that in my router stats, noise margin is all over the place fluctuating between 0db and about 10db (downstream). Line attenuation is fairly constant around 21db, though I have seen spikes up to 47db (downstream again). Connection speed varies a lot too, between about 4kbps and 9kbps downstream. Previously I would have expected around 11kbps. Why might these figures be shining about so much and might they explain the frequent dropped connections? Noise Margin seems lower than usual, that may have an effect? I noticed today that the line from the telegraph pole to our house looks a bit frayed (edit: see attachment), could that be causing a problem? Thanks, Steve

19 REPLIES 19
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Lots of dropped connections all of a sudden

Hi there, 

I've just been running tests on your line and they also pass too, however if you're still hearing noise on the line it might be a good idea to see if you can borrow another phone handset just to rule out if its the phone causing that to happen. 

With regards to speeds it will be affected due to the disconnections so we'll need to focus on that, broadband diagnostics don't reveal anything obvious but I'd try following the advice here next https://goo.gl/tu2WWu do keep us posted.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
sca1
Dabbler

Thanks for the reply.

I have replaced the microfilter and the cable that connects it to the modem.  The connection seems stabler now, and noise margin is now up to around 20-25db, though upstream it is still only 7db (why the mismatch?).  Connection speed is well down still, though, 2.2k.

Line attenuation is 20-30db down, 6.5db up - again is it odd that there is a big difference?

I will keep an eye on things!

richi
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

If you're still hearing noise on the line, it's so much easier to raise a voice fault, which should resolve the underlying issue. Joints can go bad, trees can damage wires, etc.

Most phone lines were never designed to carry anything other than voice, so xDSL speed is on a "reasonable efforts" basis. But get the metallic path working right for voice and you'll generally get the best result for xDSL.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Hi there.

I'm just following up here. Your connection doesn't look too good over the past few days.

I'm testing your line and I'll reply over to the ticket on your account shortly.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
richi
Aspiring Pro

@Gandalf wrote:

Your connection doesn't look too good over the past few days

OMG, you're not kidding!

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

I hope things are looking better after the engineer visit sca1!

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
sca1
Dabbler

Thanks, I hope so too Smiley

Connection has been a bit more stable the last 12 hours or so... snail's pace though.  I'm not entirely convinced that the rain doesn't make it worse.  

richi
Aspiring Pro

It's been my experience that several engineer visits might be required to resolve audible noise -- especially if intermittent

SammyM
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 93

Hello @sca1

We can see that the connection is still dropping and are monitoring it until after the next engineer visit. Smiley

Sammy M - Sheffield Team
 Plusnet Help Team
sca1
Dabbler

Damaged drop wire from pole to house replaced, line sounds much better now, noise stats looking healthier too, so fingers crossed speed will pick up soon Smiley

richi
Aspiring Pro

Awesome. It might be worth asking PN to force a DLM reset

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Glad to hear that @sca1

And a DLM reset has now been done. You should see improved speeds within 5-10 minutes.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
richi
Aspiring Pro

hannibal.jpg

sca1
Dabbler

Brilliant, 16M down now,  and that's before FTTC is switched on Smiley