Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lost internet connection

paulgul
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Lost internet connection

Did anyone else loose their internet connection for around 30 minutes - just been restored 5 mins ago. No mention of problems on twitter so just wondering if it was my end or not?
Edit: Melksham, Wiltshire exchange
9 REPLIES 9
MJN
Pro
Fixes: 5

Re: Lost internet connection

Yes, according to my logs I did between 10:00 and 10:40 (with a 10min check interval).
For what it's worth I'm also in Wiltshire, but on the Malmesbury exchange.
Mathew
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Guys,
It looks like there may have been a problem in the Swindon area which may have been responsible for that.
Jojo Smiley
paulgul
Rising Star

Thanks Jojo, pleased its not my end  Smiley
LorenzoMediocre

Thanks Jojo and paulgul
Here in Swindon my connection went down before 11.30 p.m. Wednesday 11 May 2011. I do not know when the service came back up.
My router's statistics showed that the link to the phone exchange was still 'up' but the node-link status was 'idle'. This was rather like the experience of the big BT outage of the night of Wednesday 30 March 2011. So I closed down for the night and switched off the router, to cut down the chances of mishap when reconnecting. (OK about noon today, Thursday 12 May 2011.)
I have looked up http://usertools.plus.net/exchanges/mso.php or http://www.thinkbroadband.com/. Nothing shows there about any 'major' BT outage affecting Melksham 01225, Malmesbury 01666 or Swindon 01793 last night or this morning. From this I guess that BT does not issue notices of outages it rates as 'minor'.
2p
--
Lorenzo il Mediocre
rascom
Grafter

I can say for certain that Calne, Chippenham (both 01249), Swindon and Devizes (01380) have been up and down all morning since about 9.30am but most also had problems around 11pm last night.  Its not just PN but all providers seem to be having the same issue but would be nice if BT actually acknowledged it.  One of my customers is a BT customer and rang their helpline and was told their service was working perfectly when it clearly wasn't.
rascom
Grafter

Cry
Is anyone at PN able to shed any light on this as people in this area are still having problems and BT say everything is alright.
Lines dropped sometime last night between 7pm and midnight (sorry I can't be more precise, I was out but the connection was down when I got back home) and it went down again sometime between 1am and 7am.  This is proving a nightmare and the connections seem to be as flaky as anything.
Someone is doing something somewhere which is affecting customers either across the South West or, at the very least, in the Swindon, Calne & Chippenham, Devizes and Malmesbury areas.
MJN
Pro
Fixes: 5

Quote from: rascom
This is proving a nightmare and the connections seem to be as flaky as anything.
Someone is doing something somewhere which is affecting customers either across the South West or, at the very least, in the Swindon, Calne & Chippenham, Devizes and Malmesbury areas.

To be fair, I have a script running monitoring my connection every 10mins and here (Malmesbury) we've not had any connectivity issues since the episode reported by Paulgul yesterday morning so if you are still seeing issues yourself the cause (and certainly effect) could be closer to home.
Mathew
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI rascom,
I don't see anything that could be causing that now. At the moment we'd have to treat it as an individual issue
Jojo Smiley
paulgul
Rising Star

Quote from: rascom
Cry
Lines dropped sometime last night between 7pm and midnight (sorry I can't be more precise,

Here in Melksham I haven't had any problems since the dropout yesterday morning, certainly ok until 10pm yesterday evening and no problems since lunchtime today. I wasn't online in between times so I can't comment on that
Paul