cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lost Internet connection this morning

BLINDPEW
Grafter

Lost Internet connection this morning

Can anyone at Plusnet help I had a power dip this morning at about 10:30 and since then I haven't been able to connect to the Internet. All the lights r on, on the router ie internet broadband and wireless  but cannot connect. I tried my neighbours router but this was the same. I am going to try leaving powered off for 30 mins see if that does anything but I'm not holding much hope. Can I just add that Ive tried 3 laptops both wireless and wired. I'm having to use my iPhone on 3 g at the moment to send this.
48 REPLIES 48
BLINDPEW
Grafter

Re: Lost Internet connection this morning

Just powered router back up still no Internet I'm now stumped any help would be great.
woodsider
Grafter

If your router is like mine, a power dip is one of those occasions when automatic reconnection to the internet afterwards tends to fail. Also, my router has a light to tell you that you have a DSL connection to the exchange and lights to tell you that you have live communication possible with your computers. It does not have a light to tell whether there is a PPP internet connection with Plusnet. If yours is similar, it may be worth trying to log in to your router pages,  going to the "internet connection" page and then "Connect" (even though powering back on later ought to have worked). You might learn something.
Did you put your correct Plusnet login details in, when you  tried your neighbours router? Has your router lost them?
If you're way ahead of me on these things, and everything still fails, might there be electrical damage?
BLINDPEW
Grafter

Yes I put the correct details in the other router and the one Im using is the Plusnet supplied speedtouch TG585v7. It was def power cut has electic clocks needed setting to correct time. Power was off for about 30 seconds.
andybird123
Grafter

check the Status pages, there is a large scale problem with plus net right now
I have the same problem, everything was working fine this morning, popped home lunch time, still working fine, powered down my router to relocate it, when powered back up lights on router say connected, status in router settings say ppp connected, have IP address assigned etc. but can't browse to any websites
andybird123
Grafter

there's 2 pages of interest - under maintenance, they list that this morning at 5 or 6 am there was some planned maintenance, a software upgrade on gateway PTN-AG01, then starting at 10am they list people having problems connecting at all, they then say that this is fixed and to try turning off your router for 30 minutes before reconnecting
(although being an ex-network engineer I don't see why 10 seconds or 30 minutes would make a difference to most routers, they would either connect correctly, or there is a more serious problem)
then at 11:56 they admit that acutally there is still a problem with PTN-AG01 and they are still looking at it, next update planned at 3pm
surely going back to the old software would be the quickest fix... you did take a back up didn't you plus net?
BLINDPEW
Grafter

Thanks for the info Ive just done a connectivity test to the inernet with following results
DSL OK
ATM OK
PPP OK
IP OK
INTERNET NO Connectivity
Don't know what it means but does it look  like it's to do with the probs plunet are having?
Phantom_Flan_Fl
Grafter

Don't worry, you're not alone.
I'm using my sons laptop just now with a wireless connection (saying no more  Wink ) to see if there was any update as the telephone support line just has a recorded message on it.
Guess we'll just have to wait and see.
andybird123
Grafter

I assume, Yes
Basically, your DSL connection is fine, you are being connected and assigned an IP address correctly, but the internet gateway at Plus Net's end isn't allowing you a connection to the wider internet.  Your router is fine, BT's bit of the link is fine, the problem is with Plus Net, so the fact that they are listing a known broadband gateway fault would indicate that you are being affected by that exact problem. 
However, the only people who will know if you are connected through that gateway are Plus Net.
I've been trying to log a problem about my own line via http://faults.plus.net but it's not letting me either and the phone lines seem to be pretty jammed up too.
What is really great about this is that my connection was reduced to dial-up speeds for 2 weeks at the beginning of the month, and now this.
BLINDPEW
Grafter

I'm just glad I've got a 3g connection via the iPhone otherwise I'd have been left in the dark cos has u say it's a nightmare trying to get through on a landline when there's a big problem. Anyway thanks for putting me in the picture I'll have a coffee and wait to see what happens at 3 o'clock but I won't be holding my breath.
Phantom_Flan_Fl
Grafter

Quote from: BLINDPEW
.....I'll have a coffee and wait to see what happens at 3 o'clock but I won't be holding my breath.

Just looking forward to my son getting home and him finding there's no Xbox Live. That and me disconnecting from this .....erm local wireless connection.
andybird123
Grafter

well the service status page say next update at 3pm... which has been and gone... anyone reading the forum that might be able to get us some kind of update?
I have an 8 and a half months pregnant wife at home who is being prevented from watching internet TV and chatting to her mum and dad in another country, if the internet isn't fixed by the time I get home I'll never hear the end of it!!!
BLINDPEW
Grafter

I've got a new pastime whilst there's no Internet I watch my Internet lite on my router drop out exactly every 10 minutes next one should be 3:20 if anyone wants to join in. This makes me think there still scratching there heads and working on it.
andybird123
Grafter

actually... the service status page says that all faults are now fixed, to leave your router unplugged for 30 minutes and try again
however my router has been unplugged since before 2:30, I've just tried switching it back on and still no connection for me, I'll try again in another 30 minutes but I feel this is just a delaying tactic
BLINDPEW
Grafter

Me thinks you could be right. I'll leave mine off till 4:00. Will you let us know if your up and running after the 30mins, thanks.