Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lost Internet connection this morning

jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Lost Internet connection this morning

Hi all,
A new service status has just been posted.
Jojo Smiley
zubel
Community Veteran

Quote from: andybird123
(although being an ex-network engineer I don't see why 10 seconds or 30 minutes would make a difference to most routers, they would either connect correctly, or there is a more serious problem)

Obviously not been an ex network engineer that has worked on either BT's ATM network or Colossus.
The reason for the 30-minute wait is to do with a connection made between the DSLAM / MSAN at the exchange and the BT / Plusnet RADIUS servers.  These pieces of equipment can persist a session for up to 30 minutes to the RADIUS server  (referred to as a 'stale session').  Any attempt to reconnect your PPP session during this 30 minute window will reset the timer on the session.
When you authenticate on DSL, you first contact the BT RADIUS servers.  These look at the realm that you have entered, and will refer yoru authentication request onto the relevant downstream RADIUS server (in this case Plusnet)
Examples of why this might cause a problem - if Plusnet temporarily take a RADIUS server out of commission, or it becomes unavailable due to a routing problem across BT's network, then these requests (for up to 30 minutes) can be directed to a black hole.  Every time you retry, it resets the timer, so you are not going to be able to connect until either the RADIUS server is restored, or the routing problem fixed.
This is only one example, but there are several other scenarios a to why a stale session can cause authentication problems - hence the suggestion to completely power off your equipment for 30 mins.
Anyway - that's by the by for this particular fault, by the sounds of it.
Cheers
B.
GordonWT

No connection here for last 2 hours Sad
Thank the god of broadband for iPad and mifi Wink 
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 4

Hi guys,
We're currently working with our suppliers to try and resolve the problems here. We currently have 2 problems:
20CN - we had an problem with one of our gateways following some maintenance work this morning which means we are running at reduced capacity at the moment while the problem is being fixed. The Plan B config is in effect because there isn't as much bandwidth available as normal. Customers should be able to connect OK but may see slightly lower than normal speeds particularly on lower priority traffic.
21CN - we have a separate issue which is preventing some customers from connecting to our network. Your router may show that you are connected but the IP address you've been assigned will be a BTWholesale IP address rather than a Plusnet IP address which means that you won't be able to browse or get any data transfer. The majority of people posting will be affected by this 2nd issue. Once the problem is resolved you may need to disconnect and reconnect or reboot your router.
As soon as we know more we'll update service status.
Dave Tomlinson
Enterprise Architect - Network & OSS
Plusnet Technology
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 4

The 21CN issues should now be resolved and everyone should now be able to get online. As per my post above you might need to disconnect and reconnect or reboot your router.
Dave Tomlinson
Enterprise Architect - Network & OSS
Plusnet Technology
Phantom_Flan_Fl
Grafter

Back on here, sometime between 9 and 10pm.
BLINDPEW
Grafter

Back on here too. Didn't have to reboot router.
GordonWT

Router connected itself.  Back working normally Smiley
ctech500
Grafter

Back on here with a banded profile BT21Crap   Angry
Zasps
Grafter

I kept getting the dreaded 'Server Not Found' message last night, and was unable to get online, which is why I'm on here this morning making sure it's working now.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi ctech500,
You're definitely not banded, although your connection is quite poor and I would expect a lot more than you are getting. You started to open a fault yesterday and need to go back and complete all the questions so we can look into it further or it will close automatically.
Jojo Smiley
andybird123
Grafter

my service also returned about 10pm last night... funnily enough I didn't need to turn off my router for 30 minutes
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI Zasps,
Lots of people were unable to connect last night due to a problem on 21CN which was resolved late last night.
Jojo Smiley
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi andybird123,
most people do connect without a problem but there are times when the session doesn't drop and 30 mins usually does the trick.
Jojo Smiley
mattdj
Dabbler

Hi Jojo,
Is everything back as it should be, I can browse sites now but it's very erratic and I've got about a quarter of the speed I did before the issues yesterday.
Cheers,
Matt