cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Loss of sync speed after swapping router

plusmore
Grafter

Loss of sync speed after swapping router

I have only had PN since 24th May and up to now have used the TG582n router, I swapped over to a Netgear DGN2200 and I have found that my downstream sync speed has dropped from around 5.2Mbps to 4.6Mbps. I was trying to get a better WiFi signal as the Netgear has a stronger signal but I am wondering if chipset differences mean that I will have to put up with a slower ADSL link or if anything can be done to get my speed improved.
The stats on the Netgear are:
                      Downstream       Upstream
Connection Speed   4672 kbps        704 kbps
Line Attenuation       48.0 db          27.0 db
Noise Margin        5.9 db        11.0 db
3 REPLIES 3
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Re: Loss of sync speed after swapping router

According to the Kitz Wiki, both those routers are based on Broadcom chipsets, but even so, different manufacturers may use different other components, or configure the firmware slightly differently.
Those Netgear stats don't indicate any particular problem. You could try monitoring the downstream noise margin, and if the noise margin gets significantly above 6, that would be a good time to resync and then you should get a slightly higher speed. You should disconnect from the router web interface first. There might not actually be anything in the web interface to command the ADSL modem to resync, but rebooting the router should do it. Usually early in the morning (after sunrise) is a good time to resync for the highest speed.
plusmore
Grafter

Switched back to the TG582n and it synced at 6,112 / 786. I think there must be some minor difference in the chipset. The TBB Speedtest gives the following which I am happy with so I think I'll stick with the TG582n for now.
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

I think you should be able to use the netgear as a wireless access point. Disable the DHCP server in the netgear. Connect the netgear and TG582n together with an ethernet cable. Then turn off the TG582n wifi. Or with a very long ethernet cable, or powerline adapters, have the netgear as a second wireless access point somewhere else, make sure the wifi channels are far apart if you try that.