cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Loss of static IP and Plusnet Protect after Extra -> Unlimited changeover

npreece

Loss of static IP and Plusnet Protect after Extra -> Unlimited changeover

Hi, unfortunately it appears that I have lost both my static IP and PN Protect services after recently switching over to your Unlimited package.
I have spoken to a very helpful chap on the phone this evening ([mremoved]) who advised me that PN is aware of a fault that is causing certain customers to lose their static IP when switching to the new packages, and that I'll be notified of any updates to the ongoing problem (ID 73930).
He added my Protect service back onto my account however I've noticed after logging in to my account that I have been given the '3 months free then £2 a month' one, which is available to Essentials customers; but I thought Unlimited customers permanently have it free? Just like I could with Extra?
I hope someone can shed light on this as I'd love to get my static IP back, and not be billed for the Plusnet Protect service after the first three months.
Another thing I noticed last night is that I had an email notifying me that I had requested interleaving to be turned off and that PN has forwarded the request to their suppliers - I didn't request this but to be honest I'm not complaining because my current DSL uptime is nearly 42 days - a very stable connection indeed. I'll leave it go ahead and keep it off, but I thought I'd let you know because I didn't actually request it (glitch?).
Thanks Smiley
jim:csa
31 REPLIES 31
Rich
Grafter

Re: Loss of static IP and Plusnet Protect after Extra -> Unlimited changeover

Hi,
Just raise a ticket about the loss of your static IP.  I also lost mine when changing over.  It was sorted within a few hours through the ticket system Smiley
Richard
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Sorry about the loss of your Static IP. Unfortunately this can happen when moving to the new products as outlined in the FAQ. It's unlikely we'll be able to give you the same IP back but we could add a new one for you now?
The Plusnet protect should be free on your account, I'm trying to sort that out now.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
will2012
Grafter

I had Plusnet protect removed as well. I wasn't bothered as I don't want it. Is it not possible to offer a bare-bones service, then addons for those who want them, rather than everyone having to pay for a bundle whether they use the services or not?
Chris
Legend

Unless you specifically go to the add-ons section and choose them then you won't be charged for them and they won't be added to your account?
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
will2012
Grafter

Oh, I thought you said Unlimited had the Plusnet Protect included within the price? I may have misunderstood.
Chris
Legend

Not included in the price, it's free on that account.
will2012
Grafter

Ahh, well if its "free", why does it say in account management that it's "free" for the first 3 months, then £2 a month thereafter?
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Mine too  Sad even though I wouldn't touch it
will2012
Grafter

I wouldn't touch it again, I had it installed but it just warns of Windows Firewall being switched off all the time - that becomes very irritating after a while - and I turned off real-time scanning as it seemed to gobble up resources.
csogilvie
Grafter

It's the whole loss of Static IP thing which is making me concerned about upgrading to Unlimited... I've had my IP block for many years now, and it's allowed through many ACLs and would therefore be a pain to change if I was to lose it during the upgrade.
will2012
Grafter

Well, I have a static IP (not a block, just a single one) and I didn't loose it, so it cant be affecting everyone. I have disconnected many times since the switch due to a fault so I would imagine I would have found out by now if I had.
npreece

Quote from: Chris
Sorry about the loss of your Static IP. Unfortunately this can happen when moving to the new products as outlined in the FAQ. It's unlikely we'll be able to give you the same IP back but we could add a new one for you now?
The Plusnet protect should be free on your account, I'm trying to sort that out now.

If you could add a new one, that would be great. I'm not too bothered about having a different one.
Many thanks
Chris
Legend

Done, should take effect next time you reconnect.
will2012
Grafter

Quote from: Chris
Not included in the price, it's free on that account.

If it should be free, does that not indicate a potential problem as there are at least two on here (myself included) to whom this is no longer showing as free?