Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Loss of speed due to storms not rectified

orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Loss of speed due to storms not rectified

Hi, definitely looks like it's still dropping connection intermittently, sorry about that. I can see you've raised a fault, that's with our team now and will be updated as soon as they're able to get the line tested - I'm afraid that'll be a couple of days though.
Hope it's fixed soon for you.
quantium
Grafter

Thanks, at least we have some connection in the meantime, even if only 1735/664
It is a pity that customers cannot log on somewhere and chose their speed themselves within the range of the service they have bought. This could be helpful as opposed to relying on an automatic system.
quantium
Grafter

we have had no more drop outs at the lower speed
quantium
Grafter

Unfortunately the problems worsened on Monday, but I noted that connection to the local exchange was present, but connection from the exchange to the rest of the Internet was not. I also noted that the connection to the rest of the Internet was lost when there was a local rain squall. This suggests that a BT junction box or manhole is getting flooded intermittently, and that a solution would be for BTOR to find out where and rectify the fault. I am not sure whether being a PN customer rather than a BT customer puts this on a lower level of priority. I attach another screen shot to make this quite clear.
I have also noted that the Thompson or Technicolor modem issued by PN is very cheap and has provision for 3G fallback. This looks like a good solution, but I don't like the fact that unused bandwidth is confiscated by the 3G provider if not used within a fixed time period.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi there,
I can see you've added that information to the faults ticket, thanks for that. Our team will be in touch once they've picked that up, hopefully they'll be able to get another engineer visit booked and he'll be able to get it fixed for you.
quantium
Grafter

Storms not affecting it any more, Monday might/Tuesday
The problem, of course, is that I have absolutely no idea as to whether this is the vagaries of an intermittent fault or whether a technician has made a helpful change anywhere.
The thought also occurs that the BT line and the mains are earthed at different points, and if there is an atmospheric discharge, even one too small to be observed as lightening, a potential difference could exist between these earthing points.
The ideal solution would be to have a modem that is connected only to the BT line and wirelessly communicates with the building's Ethernet. Then there would be no earth loops, even through damaged capacitors.