Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Loss of speed after power outages

Menruna
Dabbler

Loss of speed after power outages

Hi there,
Like large parts of the country, today has mostly been spent without power. Unfortunately since last night, the power has been on and off a few times. Now we are back up and running but the IP profile for our line has dropped by nearly 20Mb. We were solidly at 51.6Mb but are now only just over 30Mb. (We were at work so couldn't switch the fibre modem and router off)
Is this likely to work itself back up quickly, or do we need to raise a fault to get the profile reset?
Many thanks!
Iain
18 REPLIES 18
SoccerTees
Dabbler

Re: Loss of speed after power outages

I believe it takes a few weeks of constant stability to work it's way up. Contacting plusnet might speed up the process though someone with more knowledge is sure to weigh in on this.
Good luck.
Menruna
Dabbler

Anyone from Plusnet able to offer advice? Smiley
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Menruna,
Welcome to the forums.  PlsNet staff are not on the forums through the weekend, so you will not see a reply from them until Monday.
I think SoccorTees is correct in respect of FTTC - on ADSL you might see improvements after a week or so, or PN could do a profile / SNRM reset.  On FTTC, I do not think it is that simple.
There is the possibility that there is actually equipment fault, which f that s the case, one hopes that BTOR are already on the case.
PN's Digital Care Team (DCT)  will advise sometime from Monday morning.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Menruna
Dabbler

Ah cheers Townman. Will see what they say tomorrow :).
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

It's pretty much as others have said, on FTTC we can't simply reset a line as there isn't the tools available to do this. If you want us to go down the fault route, then you can report this to us at https://faults.plus.net - but it'll probably need an engineer visit for a line reset due to the way troubleshooting currently works on Fibre.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Menruna
Dabbler

Hiya Chris, many thanks and a perfectly timed reply :). I've just per-emptively gone through the faults checker and logged a fault with you.
Menruna
Dabbler

I know I'm pushing my luck here but any chance someone could look at #78302558 and give my profile a bump before home time? Smiley
Engineer did a DLM reset this morning which has restored profile according to Wholesale Speed Test Cheesy
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

I'll have a look.
I've set it to the 57Mb you talk about in your ticket.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Menruna
Dabbler

Spot on Chris, many thanks, seems to be back to normal again! Smiley
Menruna
Dabbler

Could I possibly ask if 79297998 is being looked at again? Smiley
Menruna
Dabbler

As per question 79297998, I have had an Openreach Engineer on site this morning who has moved my connection on to a new port at the DSLAM and setup a new circuit for my fibre connection. Could I possibly get my Plusnet IP profile manually bumped to match? Many thanks!
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi, currently the latest speed profile we can see is 43724 from the 11th - we can match that if you wish, but it'll be a drop in profile. You'll probably get a better result if you do a BT speed test - pop the result in here (http://speedtest.btwholesale.com) and we'll match that instead, chances are it'll be higher Smiley
Menruna
Dabbler

Hi Matt, the BT Speedtester is now showing a profile of 51.7Mbps Smiley
Though the engineer did say when he left at 13:00 today that the line had synced at 80-20.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I've bumped it up to 51600 for you (the closest we have to 51.7), I'd be loath to bump it further as it'd mean traffic management isn't working. Please keep an eye on it though and if it jumps again let us know Smiley