Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Loss of connection

Luzern
Hero
Fixes: 9

Re: Loss of connection

Never spotted that Embarrassed
No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Do not worry - its a long thread with lots of detail in it.
Your advice was none-the-less rock solid!  I suspect that many complaining about poor internet speeds have their router on the end of a naff D-section cheap phone cable and wonder why its not meeting their expectations.
That's exactly what the step daughter has got - but she knows best and keeps calling Sky to fix it.   Lips_are_sealed avoids arguments!

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Calypso
Grafter

Hi Townman,
Right, I've downloaded Routerstats as you suggested and followed the instructions as best I could from your  other link.  Initially I set up Routerstats-Lite because it appeared to be the right one but none of the details tallied as they did in the original. Anyway, I've got a graph running as of 21.43.15 but it doesn't look right as the noise margin indicator is running in a perfectly horizontal line at zero, as is the sync speed indicator. What, if anything, have I done wrong? Do I need to do it again?
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

I doubt that you've done anything wrong, rather the settings are not compatible with your router.
Have a read of this http://www.vwlowen.co.uk/internet/files.htm and this http://www.vwlowen.co.uk/internet/files.htm#routerstatslite
You could try configuring it as generic and look at 'screen scraping' the results - see the help guide.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Calypso
Grafter

Hello again,
To start, I don't appear to have had any success with either RouterStats or RouterStats-Lite, both giving me zero recordings by way of  horizontal lines for noise and sync. speed across the bottom of the graphs. So, rightly or wrongly, I've deleted both.
Unfortunately I'd forgotten that my brother had been away for some days but managed to contact him today and explain the current situation. He confirms that the ZyXEL prestige is available but he also has a brand new D-Link DSL-3780 4 Port router and filters I could have, supplied to him by TalkTalk, his ISP. He chose to supply his own at the time so this has never been in use.  The question is, being provided by TalkTalk, would I be able to set it up for my use?
Meantime, stats taken at 3.40pm, as below, seem to have stabilised over the past 19 hours. Not sure what to think. As a 74 year old I must confess this is doing my head in but I really appreciate you bearing with me and making allowances for my ineptitude in matters of this kind.
Link Information
Uptime: 0 days, 19:38:22
DSL Type: G.992.3 annex A
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 440 / 4,634
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [kB/kB]: 0.00 / 130.00
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.5 / 0.0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 28.5 / 48.5
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 20.5 / 12.5
Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / IFTN
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 4,294,967,264 / 9,296
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 4,294,967,264 / 59
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 55
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

I think the DSL-3780 might not be locked to TalkTalk, so you may be able to enter the connection details and use it on Plusnet.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Quote from: Calypso
As a 74 year old I must confess this is doing my head in but I really appreciate you bearing with me and making allowances for my ineptitude in matters of this kind.

Hi Calypso,
To quote an old phrase - it just goes to show that you can teach an old dog new tricks.  As for patience, whilst people take the advice offered and use it to make progress, patience can be infinite.  Do not worry about any of this.  You are doing fine, some of these tools only work where they touch so to speak.
I have taken a look at RouterStats and it does not appear to support that D-Link router.  That does not really matter right now - the important thing here is its a new router with new filters.

Calypso
Grafter

Thanks again,
Are you therefore recommending that I give the D-Link a try and, as ejs has kindly mentioned,  suggesting that being a TalkTalk supplied router will not necessarily affect the setting it up?
Hopefully, it helps to keep supplying regular updated stats:
Taken 5.35pm:
Link Information
Uptime: 0 days, 0:57:33
DSL Type: G.992.3 annex A
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 440 / 3,936
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [kB/kB]: 0.00 / 6.00
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.5 / 0.0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 28.5 / 48.5
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 21.0 / 15.5
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 11 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 1 / 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 1 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 4,264
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 115
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 107
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Yes, it can do no harm.
You will need your account connection details (including password) and you will need to configure the D-Link to use them.  If you need help with that, please ask.

Calypso
Grafter

Wish I had your confidence but, in for a penny in for a pound, let's give it a go. As soon as I've obtained the new router and set it up I shall be in touch again. Until then.......... Undecided
Calypso
Grafter

Hi Townman,
This is an update on proceedings.
No, I have not, as yet, utilised the new D-Link router which I received today. Instead I have changed things around as follows. I have replaced the router in my office using the new 10m ADSL cable plugged directly into the master socket in the lounge thereby eliminating the extension phone cable altogether. That means the ethernet cable is the shorter version as supplied by PlusNet. May not be the most satisfactory way to go about it but stats show stability over the past 24 hrs or so, although the SNRM is now a little higher than before but remains consistent at 15/15.5.
Referring back to one of your earlier posts, you made mention of a possible faulty phone socket/plug. Well, strangely, when setting this up and plugging into the face plate of the master socket, several attempts to reconnect to the Internet failed. However, having removed the face plate and connecting into the test socket allowed immediate access suggesting the face plate is faulty. Is that possible? Furthermore, I note that the DSL type has changed yet again, now showing G.992.1 annex A. What does that indicate, please?
Stats at approx. 2.00 pm
Link Information
Uptime: 0 days, 23:19:23
DSL Type: G.992.1 annex A
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 448 / 4,128
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [kB/kB]: 0.00 / 155.00
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.5 / 19.5
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 29.5 / 49.0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 20.0 / 15.5
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 15 / 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 8 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 2 / 5,058
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 2 / 94
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 2 / 82
And again at 4.25 pm:
Link Information
Uptime: 1 day, 1:59:47
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [kB/kB]: 0.00 / 173.00
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 20.0 / 15.5
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 2 / 5,561
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 2 / 98
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 2 / 86
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

HI Calypso,
Some thing seems amiss here ... your modulation standard has 'degraded' from ADSL2+ on the 8th to ADSL(1) today.  In answer to your direct question - G.992.1 = ADSL(1) / G.992.3 = ADSL2 / G.992.5 = ADSL2+
I think I need to go back to basics / the beginning to ensure that I clearly understand the details of your configuration and issue(s).
1. The face plate - are there any wires attached to the back of it?  If yes, how many, what colours and which terminals.  There is nothing to really go wrong on the faceplate other than the pins becoming tarnished or bent so that they do not make a good contact with the socket.  The subscriber is responsible for the faceplate - if it is 'faulty' it is down to then to replace, not BTOR.  Check the pins, make sure none are bent and that they are all at the same angle.  You can improve the pin contact by (gently repeatedly inserting and removing the faceplate.  That action will clean the terminals.
2. How many telephones do you have?  How are they connected to the master socket?
3. The ADSL 10m extension - is it something like this or more like this?  The former is not much better than (if I understood correctly) the phone extension wire we are seeking to eliminate.  Long ADSL cables must be twisted pair cable, which is not usually the case if they are flat in cross section.
4. Where is / are the filter / filters fitted?  Is the master socket a Mk3 face plate like this?
5. The broadband is dropping on inbound phone calls?

To move this forward (and ensure that I have not missed anything), I would.
1. Initiate the BB trouble shooter as adviced by Chris
2. Get the router back at the phone socket / test socket, using a long Ethernet cable to connect the computer - do you have one of these or did I misunderstand?  This is required as part of the fault elimination process.  Post the stats.
3. Replace the filter with one of the new ones from your brother.  Post the stats
4. Change the router over.  Post the stats.
If all of these are the same then you are in a position to complete the fault report saying that you have changed the filter and the router.

Calypso
Grafter

Hi Townman,
Sorry for the delay, had to watch the rugby.
1) There are no wires connected to the back of the face plate.
2)There are two phones, the master phone in the lounge, plugged into a filter directly connected into the test socket. A secondary phone, in my office, is simply plugged into a power point. Both are cordless.
3) More like the second one...description reads: "High Speed Broadband Modem lead, top quality construction with twisted conductor stranded pairs, foil covering and RJ11 plugs to keep interference to a minimum and maintain maximum speed".
4) One filter is plugged directly into the test socket of the master box. No, it is an NTE5 I believe.
5) Not sure if that was meant to be a question but not aware of any actual downturn in broadband speed when receiving a phone call.
5.1) Okay, will do that.
5.2) Yes I did purchase a 10m ethernet CAT5E cable and can therefore move the router back to the master socket.
5.3) I will fit a new filter.
5.4) I was hoping to avoid doing that but if you recommend changing the router then that's not a major problem which I will attend to tomorrow.
Here are stats as at 10.55 pm:
Link Information
Uptime: 1 day, 8:31:03
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [kB/kB]: 0.00 / 218.00
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 20.0 / 15.0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 2 / 6,916
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 2 / 108
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 2 / 92
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Sorry for the delay, had to watch the rugby.

It is important that we get out priorities right!   Cheesy
Thank you for all of the answers, it really does help to recap / clarify matters.
1) There are no wires connected to the back of the face plate.
2)There are two phones, the master phone in the lounge, plugged into a filter directly connected into the test socket. A secondary phone, in my office, is simply plugged into a power point. Both are cordless.
3) More like the second one...description reads: "High Speed Broadband Modem lead, top quality construction with twisted conductor stranded pairs, foil covering and RJ11 plugs to keep interference to a minimum and maintain maximum speed".
4) One filter is plugged directly into the test socket of the master box. No, it is an NTE5 I believe.

Great stuff and eliminates some unhelpful perceptions.  You have a cordless DECT phone system with two hand sets - the 'base station' being near the master socket.  The extension having no phone wire.  I had presumed (darned dangerous) that phone was wired using the same wire as the router did.  Whatever an ordinary phone extension (as discussed before) is not ideal for ADSL operation.  The filter being plugged directly into the test socket and then the phone and router being plugged into their there is exactly right.
Given that you have the high quality ADSL cable, where you put the router is in-material, however for the purposes of reporting a fault, it being direct in the master socket removes grounds for complaint from PN.

5) Not sure if that was meant to be a question but not aware of any actual downturn in broadband speed when receiving a phone call.

Apologies for mistake on my part, phone cable disturbed when vacuuming. Problem resolved, now back to normal.

This happened after I made a local call to a neighbour and lost  my internet connection. Having restored the connection I made another call but this time with no loss.
The router was connected with an ADSL/ phone adapter directly into the test socket.

I thought I recalled you saying that using the phone dropped the BB service.  May be this was a one off, possibly associated with the loose (?) phone connection.
5.4) I was hoping to avoid doing that but if you recommend changing the router then that's not a major problem which I will attend to tomorrow.

Me too - but we need to rule out this being an issue with your router!  Cry
Stats look OKish!  ADSL(1) connection is holding up well.  The 15 loss of signal evens within the first 23 hours and the 2/2/2 error counts for the US disconcert me.
When you are ready, I recommend that you swap modems and review the stats.  Please post the current stats from the current modem before you do the change.  When you are back on air, please post the stats off the D-Link.  The comparison will be interesting.

Calypso
Grafter

Thanks, yet again.
The loss did appear to be a one off, I'm not aware of a similar occurence since.
Moving the router back to the master socket does not constitute a major problem. However, I really don't like the idea of it being situated in the lounge and, hopefully, should we eventually resolve these problems, I would like to be able to reinstate it in my office.
Will gladly supply relevant stats as and when changes have been made.