Did you mean: 

Loss of connection

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Re: Loss of connection

The U.S. margin has reverted to 9dB.
I rather think it's time to push on for a fault report / BTOR engineer visit.  Raise it as a connection / speed stability issue and reference this thread, then post your ticket reference back here please.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Calypso
Grafter

Hello again Townman,
As with many other forum users I have found it nigh on impossible to simply raise a fault ticket without going round and around the proverbial mulberry bush. I tried going through the broadband fault  link  in your signature but, having truthfully answered all the questions, I'm told the problem lies within the internal wiring and therefore the ticket has been closed. Back to square one. Maybe you have an idea  as to how I may comply with your suggestion  of raising  a fault report.
Actually, thinking about it, this thread has run into 9 pages over a period of nearly 4 weeks, during which time you have been a star, showing immense patience and consideration for an old 'un like me. Unfortunately we appear to have made little headway and I fear that we may be going around in circles when you, at least, have better things to do. Me...well I'm resigned to settling for what I've got and hope that the situation will not deteriorate to the point of  no return.
At my age some things are still worth pursuing but this problem has confused me, led me into areas previously unknown and involved looking at information and statistics completely foreign to me. I have no wish to patronise you but, again, I thank you for your continued support and assistance and, judging by the number of other threads you're tied into, know that other posters are in good hands.
Oh! just for good measure, these are stats as at 3.46 pm, today:

ADSL (Sync) Summary
System uptime:
8d:19h:36m:37s
Modem ADSL (Sync) uptime:
0d:4h:1m:28s
Interleaving:
On
ADSL mode:
ADSL2
ADSL setting:
VPI: 0
VCI: 38
ADSL line speed (kbps):
Up: 659
Down: 6072
Line attenuation (dB):
Up: 29.8
Down: 48.4
SN margin (dB):
Up: 10.6
Down: 6.0
Total errors seconds:
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Quote from: Calypso
I tried going through the broadband fault  link  in your signature but, having truthfully answered all the questions, I'm told the problem lies within the internal wiring and therefore the ticket has been closed. Back to square one. Maybe you have an idea  as to how I may comply with your suggestion  of raising  a fault report.
Actually, thinking about it, this thread has run into 9 pages over a period of nearly 4 weeks, during which time you have been a star, showing immense patience and consideration for an old 'un like me. Unfortunately we appear to have made little headway and I fear that we may be going around in circles when you, at least, have better things to do. Me...well I'm resigned to settling for what I've got and hope that the situation will not deteriorate to the point of  no return.

Hi Calypso,
I strongly suggest that you've presupposed the issue here.  You should not judge the cause of the problem - leave that to the faults team - if they come back with more ideas within your domain them fine.   Wink
With the diligent activity you have undertaken, you have significantly reduce the occurrence of the issue by
(a) completely eliminating your internal wiring, as your router is now connected direct to the master socket using a high quality ADSL interface cable
(b) eliminating the old router and old filters
Whilst there has been improvement there is still an issue preventing the line form maintaining optimal US synch speed.  In such circumstances, a fault report citing intermittent speed instability is I think quite justifiable.  If there is something we have missed, CRT (or other community members) will I am sure promptly offer their perspectives here.
I'd like to see the results of a full Copper Line Test (CLT) including a/c balance, current LQI and an updated VR would be useful.
As I said, from the information you have provided and actions taken, things seem a lot better, but not ideal.  Other than by the merit that you are looking, are you actually noticing this intermittent disconnection?  Are you still watching for disconnections having a correlation with the use of the phone?
I suggest that you give raising a fault another go.  Answer yes to all of "are you plugged into the master (test) socket", "have you changed the filter", and "have you tried a different router".  If things are still as we have discussed, your internal wiring is not even connected to the line, so in some ways, you just told a fib!  Grin Shocked Roll_eyes
As for time, helping people such as yourself simply adds to the quality of life.  You've listened, acted and learnt - that richly deserves patience.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Calypso
Grafter

Hi Townman,
Ok, possibly against my better judgement, I will persevere but, if not for your support, this was headed for the 'bin of best forgotten experiences'.
At your suggestion I eventually managed to successfully raise a fault report No. 112053863. (Is that what they refer to as the ticket number?)
Meantime, further to your question regarding phone calls and their possible cause of the disconnections, I have this evening called upon the assistance of my neighbour in trying to ascertain any pattern in this respect arising from making or receiving calls. In the first instance, about a minute into making the call, the router page suddenly went to Red- Error and apart from System Uptime most other details were lost. This concerned me greatly as it seemed to imply that a phone fault was responsible after all. However, 1.5 minutes into the call the router went to amber (reconnecting) and 40 seconds later all was back to normal but with new readings. It all happened so fast I was unable to copy and paste (a difficult task anyway as the screen updates every 10 seconds) but I did manage print screen and have printed the results. Not sure how I get that information to you but I'll think of something.
My neighbour then rang me 10 minutes later but this time, apart from fluctuations in the SNRM readings, Up dropping at one point to zero and Down hovering around 3.0, there was no disconnection. Several calls, back and forward between us, resulted in no further disconnections except one that occurred ten minutes or so after the calls. This leads me to believe that the first one was purely coincidental but I may be wrong, of course.
The error count has leap-frogged from 1032 to 66557 and currently back to 1066.
Frustratingly, as I type , everything has changed yet again, as below:
ADSL (Sync) Summary
System uptime:
9d:2h:9m:47s
0d:0h:47m:5s
Interleaving:
On
ADSL mode:
ADSL2
ADSL setting:
ADSL line speed (kbps):
Up: 964
Down: 5842
Line attenuation (dB):
Up: 28.8
SN margin (dB):
Up: 5.4
Total errors seconds:
I must confess I'm finding it rather difficult to keep up, my hand and eye co-ordination is not as fast as it used to be.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

You are doing fine.  Just because the problem shows during a phone call does not make this a phone fault.  Also there is no assurance that it will always disconnect with a home phone call.  Personally I'm suspecting a bad joint or a problem in the exchange.

Calypso
Grafter

Thank you, Townman,
I'm now going to pit my wits against the U C students and after that Only Connect. Both should be easy after this lot.  Wink
Calypso
Grafter

Good morning,
Received an email from PlusNet today advising me that BT have been asked to turn on Interleaving in an attempt to correct the problem with my broadband. Is this at the exchange, presumably  in addition to the Interleaving as shown in the router stats?
Router details as at 9.20 am today show drop in the Up line speed, a marked increase in the Up SNRM and more disconnections during the night, the last one between 4 & 4.30 am this morning coincidentally around the time of receiving the email (which probably has no connection whatsoever)

ADSL (Sync) Summary
System uptime:
10d:14h:6m:9s
0d:5h:16m:10s
Interleaving:
On
ADSL mode:
ADSL2
ADSL setting:
ADSL line speed (kbps):
Up: 440
Down: 5928
Line attenuation (dB):
SN margin (dB):
Up: 19.9
Down: 6.3
Total errors seconds:
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

@CRT,
There has been no PlusNET touch on this thread for days, what's going on with the faults team here?  Interleaving is already switched on for this line and US synch speed has been crippled again.  Why has an engineer visit not been considered here?

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

I'd like to see the results of a full Copper Line Test (CLT) including a/c balance, current LQI and an updated VR would be useful.

Here they are:
Indicative Line Quality:  G 
Mean Time Between Errors Downstream (Seconds):  540 
Copper line test:
DP Line Length Estimate:  2729 Metres 
DN Line Length Estimate:  2744 Metres 
Celerity:  Line Loss:  44.22 dB 

Still a fair amount of disconnections showing:

There has been no PlusNET touch on this thread for days, what's going on with the faults team here?

The fault ticket has been open since the 5th and the interleaving message is simply a standard automated one due to the type of fault reported, the product type on our side didn't say interleaving was on already so it's tried to turn it on.

With the exception of the disconnections, the line looks pretty good so I'm hoping that the faults guys can get them pinned down.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Sorry Chris,
We've sought to clean up this installation (new router, new filters and a HQ ADSL cable to replace the internal wiring, then to get interleaving off and the US uncapped.  There is some evidence of disconnections to be related to use of the phone - does this point to a line card issue?
@Calypso,
Can you please look at the disconnections over recent days and recall which might be related to the use of the phone please?
Kevin

Calypso
Grafter

Hi Townman,
I see there was a disconnection just under 2.5 hours ago (just off the chart) but not following any phone call, in or out, the last call being around 10 am this morning.  Studying the chart, I note that since last Friday, Oct. 2nd, several disconnections have occurred in the early hours of the morning and some quite late at night when I can assure you no phone calls were made and none received.
However, if you recall, I mentioned in an earlier post on Monday that I had exchanged a number of calls with my neighbour, those calls appearing to coincide with the disconnections between 5.30 pm  & 6 pm on that day. Furthermore, the disconnections on Tuesday at 11 am and again at 12 noon tie in with firstly a call from my son in Tasmania, which I was not available to take, and his call back an hour later.
This seems to imply that phone calls may aggravate the situation resulting in a disconnection but are not solely responsible for them. Just my opinion, of course.
These are the stats from  5.30 pm today:
ADSL (Sync) Summary
System uptime:
10d:22h:18m:58s
0d:2h:18m:3s
Interleaving:
On
ADSL mode:
ADSL2
ADSL setting:
ADSL line speed (kbps):
Down: 6062
Line attenuation (dB):
SN margin (dB):
Up: 20.1
Total errors seconds:
Calypso
Grafter

Further update:
Outgoing call made at 8.30 pm and incoming call received at 9.05 pm, neither of which caused a disconnection that I am aware of.
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

It is more likely to remain connected with the capped upstream speed and the accompanying higher upstream SNR margin.
Calypso
Grafter

Good morning ejs, a pleasure to see you're still on the case but I do wonder if you guys ever sleep.
Calls made today, one outgoing at around 9.30am and one incoming about 10 am, do not appear to have caused any disruption, looking at the router stats as at  approx. 11 am.

ADSL (Sync) Summary
System uptime:
11d:15h:45m:39s
0d:19h:44m:44s
Interleaving:
On
ADSL mode:
ADSL2
ADSL setting:
ADSL line speed (kbps):
Down: 6062
Line attenuation (dB):
SN margin (dB):
Up: 18.2
Total errors seconds:
Calypso
Grafter

I have today received a text message informing me that an engineer has been scheduled to visit between 1pm and 6pm on Monday, 12/10/15. Unfortunately I have a funeral to attend at midday on that day and may not be available to meet him. As requested, I phoned 0345 140 0200 to rearrange the visit but was told there is currently a waiting time of approx. 45 minutes.
Thankfully a second call this evening brought a very quick response and a new appointment made for the following day. Plaudits for the young man who dealt with my request.