cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Loss of connection for days

mjbarnard

Loss of connection for days

I am having exactly the same problem as thread loss of internet connection 30562382  http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,80541.0.html. No internet connection since Thursday. Have had uninterrupted service for at least 6 years.
Exactly the same as previous posters Netgear router shows ADSL green light, but no IP address or connection.
Phoned support twice and surprised at unsympathetic response. They are "doing tests" but only aim to address it "within a week". When I politely emphasised the problems I face with this was told "well it is a residential connection package".
Do not understand why support denied they knew of similar problems when other threads have described virtually identical problems and James posted "We've got  number of faults similar to yours which we're looking into getting a bulk fix. "
Router is connected to master socket. Have changed splitter and have tried two (netgear) routers.
I have three phone lines and have contacted Zen today to see how quickly they can put a new connection on another line. Seems a pity that Plusnet are losing long term loyal customers such as myself. I dont mind occasional service interruptions or faults, but their response seems inefficient.
7 REPLIES 7
racker

Re: Loss of connection for days

I completely sympathise with your predicament. I'm also in the same situation and have had no Internet connection for over 3 days now. The fault is exactly the same as yours, the same NetGear router - I get no IP address. The ticket is currently sitting with the Automated Script team and I've had no update from PlusNet for 2 days now. I've been with PlusNet for over 8 years and been signed up to their premium package for many years paying twenty pounds a month. Reliable Internet connectivity is paramount for me since I occasionally work from home, that is why I'm willing to pay extra for a premium package.
In a way I'm glad this outage has occurred since it gives me an excuse to move to another cheaper provider. Sloppy customer service is no excuse and we (the consumer) should not put up with it.
mjbarnard

Yes it's quite inconvenient. I would expect them to prioritise complete loss of service problems.
For the record I have also tried a Draytek router - and exactly the same, so it's not a Netgear problem. I also flashed the latest firmware.
racker

With so many users experiencing the same (or similar) catastrophic outage for days on end over the last few weeks indicates that the root cause is fundamentally common between users. Indeed it seems like the root cause remains to be identified, isolated and fixed - even after a couple of months of new users reporting the same problem.
It seems that PlusNet support do not have the systems in place (or do not understand how to use them) to relate previously resolved problems with similar newly reported issues. Thus forcing the user has to go through a painful process of escalation and wait - seems like an elaborate queuing system to me, at the expense of the customer.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Try configuring the router to use PPPoE instead of PPPoA
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
racker

Thanks for the suggestion jelv I will try that when I get home tonight. In the meantime, why don't PlusNet have some techies scouring these forums and updating their internal FAQs with helpful suggestions like this?
mjbarnard

Tried PPPoE. Didn't work. Thanks for suggestion.
scottharris

i have lost connection for a couple of days now with the error messages unable to connect to remote computer or remote computer not responding, never happened before. problem with the on line reporting is you have to have a connection! im at a mates house trying to work out if it my hardware or the line or plusnet? help please