cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Loss of Link?

captainjack2003

Loss of Link?

Hi,
Lately, I've been getting consistent disconnections from my broadband service, a problem that is bad especially in the evenings when I can have disconnections every few minutes! To be honest, I haven't yet troubleshooted my phone line for any issues, so this will obviously be the first thing to check. My ADSL filter is built into the master socket, so I'll try it with the master socket directly and an external filter without any extensions plugged in.... Here are my stats:

Uptime:	0 days, 0:06:02
DSL Type: G.992.5 annex A
Maximum Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 864 / 17,164
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 446 / 15,845
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [kB/kB]: 29.00 / 22.00
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.0 / 19.0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 11.5 / 19.0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 28.5 / 12.0
Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / IFTN
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 5,570,478 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 5,832,618 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0

Speed is generally OK, when it works but I am highly concerned about the Error Seconds and the Loss of Signal stats. It's in millions! When I was with Be* on the a similar router at another address, these were in single digits after weeks of uptime.
Any ideas, other than what I stated above?
Cheers,
Alex
8 REPLIES 8
Gus
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Re: Loss of Link?

Do a quite line test [dial 17070 and choose option 2] and see if you have any noise on your line when connected to the test socket, ideally with just the phone connected and if you have a spare one try another phone as well.  If not when BT come to fix it and find noise coming from your phone they might charge for it.
Had the same since Saturday and just had BT fix the noise I had which in turn made my ADSL flaky,  needed a new master socket and the connection on the pole outside fixed.
FTTP 500 regrade from Tues 28th November
captainjack2003

When you say with just the phone, do you mean without the filter as well? I am sure I will crackling then.
The phone seems OK when speaking to other people (can't hear any static) but will try the test suggested.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI Alex,
I'm not sure that makes sense really. The uptime is showing as 6 minutes but 5.8 million seconds. The fact that there are no HEC or CRC errors would suggest no major problem there. I would certainly suggest troubleshooting your internal wiring if you're dropping connection.
Jojo Smiley
captainjack2003

Yeah, it's very weird. But the error seconds/loss of link errors seem to only reset themselves after I reboot the router and after every disconnection it goes up by about 60000.
Will definitely check internal wiring first, as I was getting these issues with my old router as well so it's definitely not that.
Gus
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

If you got one of the Iplates then yes try it without it with just the phone connected
FTTP 500 regrade from Tues 28th November
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Yes, I'd be interested to see the results once you've had a look at the wiring Smiley
captainjack2003

Sod's Law. After remotely rebooting the router yesterday, it hasn't dropped a packet and not a single error. This is odd as I physically rebooted the router many times at home.
Still, got a few large files to download, so we'll see how it fares under load.
Don't like problems that resolve themselves as I never know what caused them in the first place.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Quote from: captainjack2003
Don't like problems that resolve themselves as I never know what caused them in the first place.

Yes, can be annoying that. Better than it not going away though Smiley