cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Losing internet connection daily

balvack2
Grafter

Losing internet connection daily

Since Saturday morning we've been losing our internet connection for up to several hours at a time. Router keeps trying to reconnect. Happened again Sunday and again this morning. The Service Status page shows everything is all right, but then searching for any events (any service, any status, any time) shows nothing has been updated for over 80 days.

So given that Service Status page is useless, but Downdetector indicates there are issues being reported, can anyone advise if there are actually broadband connectivity issues at the moment?

18 REPLIES 18
OskarPapa
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 65

Re: Losing internet connection daily

Thanks for your post, @balvack2.

We're sorry to hear of your connection issues.

I'd personally advise against using Downdetector - In my experience it's very prone to sensational tags such as 'national outage', when the reality is that we haven't had a national outage for at least the 16 months I've worked here for. That being said, I totally appreciate that the service status isn't quite where we'd like it to be and will again leave feedback with the relevant team.

I've tested the line and can see the drops that you reference but am unable to determine what's causing them as yet. Due to this, we'll need to look at a bit of troubleshooting before we're able to raise the issue to our suppliers.

I'd recommend starting with basic checks here:

http://goo.gl/p2tpvL

And if that doesn't help the next thing would be to rule your internal wiring out by plugging the connection into your test socket which is under the faceplate of your master socket and seeing if the drops stop. This rules out internal wiring, face plates and extension sockets as being the cause. How to locate the test socket and set your connection into it can be found here:

https://community.plus.net/t5/Library/Testing-From-The-Master-Socket/ba-p/1322242

I can see that you're not exactly new to the Community so please do let me know if you've already done the above and I'll proceed with raising the issue.

nofibre
Hooked

You are not alone. My internet disconnected inexplicably between 4:42pm and ~7.30pm today, then returned without any action from me. The service status was helpful in being entirely uninformative (no faults anywhere apparently). This is day 3 with PlusNet's broadband so we will see...
balvack2
Grafter

The router is plugged directly into the master socket (double master type). Phone dial-tone is OK. Connection has been more stable over the last couple of days. There appear to have been a few disconnects yesterday/ this morning but as we've not been around to watch the router, can't tell if they were taking so long to re-connect as over the weekend. Keeping our fingers crossed for the moment but if you can do any further checks from your end then that would be helpful.

I note your comments about Downdetector Oskarpapa but given that Plusnet's own Service Status page gives no clues about actual status then I wanted some clue as to whether there was / is a more general problem in my area 😉 If you can advise where to get a more reliable source of information then I'd be happy to use that

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

@nofibre I'm sorry to hear that your connection was offline. We've looked into this and there were no outages reported in your area by our suppliers. I've tested your line and I can see the connection has had a few drops but we can't see any obvious cause for this. If the drops continue I'd recommend finishing raising the fault and then letting us know once you've done this

@balvack2 Thanks for getting back to us. Similar to the above I've checked and there have been no outages reported in your area recently. In terms of getting information on outages, I'm afraid there's no direct way to find this information out without one of the teams checking this for you. If the drops continue I'd recommend raising a fault here and letting us know once you've done this so we can get that picked up for you.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
nofibre
Hooked

Thank you for the prompt response and looking into your end.

To be fair, I am currently investigating this as a possible modem-router fault. I will swap to another modem and Friday and monitor over the weekend. I will update you following that (and checking for any other internal problems).
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Thanks for getting back to us @nofibre 

No problem, keep us posted on how things go.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
balvack2
Grafter

Lost our connection about an hour ago for about 20mins. Router seemed to be power-cycling, trying to connect, repeat...

In case it's an intermittent router problem I've ordered a new router (which should improve our wi-fi if nothing else). Hopefully will get the new one set up at the weekend and take it from there.

OskarPapa
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 65

Hi @balvack2, thanks for the update.

I'll be honest - with the level of disconnections I'm seeing, I'd personally advise raising a fault over at faults.plus.net so that our faults team can get the issue raised to our suppliers for their own investigation, however, if you're wanting to wait for the new router that's absolutely no problem.

If you do raise a fault, please let us know here and we'll get it sent off to BT Wholesale ASAP.

balvack2
Grafter

Thanks @OskarPapa 

My spouse wants to check out the replacement router first, though my suspicion is it's the line. Will raise a fault if there are still issues once we receive/install the new router, hopefully Friday or the weekend

JOLO
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 77

That's not a problem @balvack2

Let us know when you've raised a fault, if you've needed to, and we'll pick it up for you. 

balvack2
Grafter

@JOLO @OskarPapa still awaiting router but it sounds like our nearest neighbour (we live in a rural area) has a similar issue. Each time we get reconnected the speed is reduced, to the point where it's currently up but barely usable. Will try and log a fault if I can get logged in....

balvack2
Grafter

@JOLO @Oskarpapa So it took 30mins as connection is so slow but have now managed to log the fault. Is it possible to increase the connection speed in the meantime so at least when we are connected we can do stuff without timing out? Thanks.

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Thanks for getting back to us @balvack2

I've just updated the fault ticket with the next steps which you can view here.

If you can let us know once you've responded we'll get that picked up straight away for you.

With regards to increasing the speeds, we can do this but as the speeds have been restricted to try to stabilise the line it's likely you'll experience even more drops than you are doing currently.

If you still want us to do that let us know

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
balvack2
Grafter

Thanks @MatthewWheeler

My husband got an email with steps to try which we've already done as noted earlier on this thread and when logging the fault through the troubleshooter. He clicked on reply but when we finally managed to get logged in it said no open questions. Email said question was 196136336. Then network went down again. Still can't get logged in to member centre so catch-22 we can't update the fault ticket. Can you please ake this as an update and progress to next step...