cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Losing connection

PhilB1
Dabbler

Losing connection

Hope someone can help. Over the past 4 to 5 days my broadband keeps dropping out. I have brought a new router and still having the same problems. The router is plugged straight into a prefiltered bt master socket. There are no phone extensions. Hope someone can take a look.
12 REPLIES 12
Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29
PhilB1
Dabbler

Re: Losing connection

I done thw checks yesterday and raised a fault enquiry but have had no reaponse or update. When i had sky broadband before i never had any problems
MrSilver
Pro
Fixes: 9

Hi PhilB

Can you confirm what drops out, are you losing DSL sync at the router, or are you losing your PPP connection to plusnet (so DSL is synced up and showing as disconnection from ISP) or is all that up fine and you stop getting traffic from websites?

Thanks

PhilB1
Dabbler

I check on the router settings and the dsl has disconnected.
MrSilver
Pro

Does it come back and get in sync again, like a reset or is it staying out of sync for 10+ minutes?

PhilB1
Dabbler

Does come back and reconnects after about a minute
MrSilver
Pro

If @Anoush is on he is usually pretty good at being able to run a copper line test. Assuming you always have the router in the master socket and no extensions for testing, i.e. its unstable when you don't plug in anything apart from the router?

PhilB1
Dabbler

We dont use house phones so the only thing that is plugged to the master socket is the router. Everything was fine till a few days ago. Nothing has changed inside the house. The phone line is quite old outside.
Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

Sorry to hear you're having connection problems @PhilB1

If my colleagues don't get round to pick up your thread today I'll absolutely run a few tests for you tomorrow once I am back in the office.

I've run a copper line test which has passed. It looks like our faults team would like to arrange an engineer appointment to further progress the fault. Once you reply to the ticket with the requested information, we'll get it booked in for you.

This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
PhilB1
Dabbler

Ok great. I had an email saying about switching interleaving on do i still need an engineer visit or shouldi wait
Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

I'd probably go for the engineer as your connection is dropping:

This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
MrSilver
Pro

@PhilB1 wrote:
Ok great. I had an email saying about switching interleaving on do i still need an engineer visit or shouldi wait

If you are a gamer at all then try to avoid interleaving, it makes the line more stable but increases the latency on the line.

If you do video, web browsing etc like 99% of the internet you wouldn't notice interleaving, but gamers will notice the 15-20ms extra it will add.

Old external phone lines, in winter cold and wet season generally do go bad, its one of Openreaches biggest challenges. As water gets into junction boxes and freezes, weakens joints etc so over time slows lines down and can cause big problems.

Interleaving may mask some of those in the short term but as you have no in-home wiring to cause the disconnections I'd personally take the engineer.

You could try plugging the router into the test socket if you unscrew the faceplate (if you have what's called an NTE5), the faceplate doesn't really go wrong so shouldn't be an issue but it has been known in the past to slow things down.