cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Losing Web Interface

MikeTodd
Dabbler
Posts: 17
Registered: 02-03-2014

Losing Web Interface

My Technicolor TG582n keeps losing the web interface (admin page) at 192.168.1.254.
After re-booting the router it works fine for several hours but then, usually overnight, it then fails to respond to this address.
Any ideas what might be causing it or even how to investigate would be most helpful as I am a bit stymied at the moment and Plusnet decline to offer any assistance as the router at least maintains its basic router functionality.
7 REPLIES
MikeTodd
Dabbler
Posts: 17
Registered: 02-03-2014

Re: Losing Web Interface

An update: (it gets more mysterious!)
I re-booted and went to a meeting around 11:30. Returned just after 14:00 and found that the web interface would not respond. Ping responded OK. I then telnet logged in and the admin interface seemed live. Went back to the web interface and now it responds!
What is going on?
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Posts: 6,346
Thanks: 31
Fixes: 5
Registered: 26-11-2011

Re: Losing Web Interface

Sorry to hear that you're having issues.
Would you be able to carry out a Factory Reset on your router and let us know if the problem continues?
Chris Pettitt
Cloud Environments Engineer
MikeTodd
Dabbler
Posts: 17
Registered: 02-03-2014

Re: Losing Web Interface

I have already tried that and there was no effect.
At the moment I am monitoring via telnet and find that sometimes (not always) after logging in that way, the web interface comes back again.
[Just now it has gone, come and gone again over a space of just a couple of minutes (the time it took to log in to the forum and beging to reply!)]
In particular I am using nat maplist to see what translations are in force. I am mystified by entries of the form:
19 NAPT Internet        212.159.112.228:56763          192.168.1.65:56763      0
which seem to accumulate as the router is alive after the last reboot.
NB The reason I am keen to resolve this issue as I need to do this before tackling the main problem which is losing the NAT for the HTTP server on one of the machines inside the local network. But I'll come back to that once the first problem is resolved.
MikeTodd
Dabbler
Posts: 17
Registered: 02-03-2014

Re: Losing Web Interface

Overnight the web interface has returned and the NAT list has reduced back down to the 6 which are listed at re-boot, losing all the extraneous ones . . .
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Posts: 12,859
Thanks: 115
Fixes: 36
Registered: 27-04-2007

Re: Losing Web Interface

Hi @Mike Todd,
Let me know if you're still having problems with this so we can arrange for a replacement to be sent out if needed.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
MikeTodd
Dabbler
Posts: 17
Registered: 02-03-2014

Re: Losing Web Interface

Thanks for that offer but I am not yet convinced that it is an instance fault rather than a systemic one.
This morning, the web interface is again failing to respond (via IE) but is OK via telnet and the re-direction to my own HTTP service remains active. What I did do yesterday evening was to change the setting of Web Browser interception (?hope that's the right term but I cannot see the UI at the moment!) from the supplied Automatic to disabled as a number of not dissimilar problems have had this recommendation amongst their resoltions, apparently.
What seems to be failing is the internal web server to the Technicolor but at times it does re-start itself (how?)
I am keen to see if I can resolve it as it stands so that I can run a series of tests on my web pages starting next weekend when I am away (the wb pages relate to a remote mobile application) when a re-boot is not an available option.
If all else fails in the next few days then I would be grateful to try the replacement option.
MikeTodd
Dabbler
Posts: 17
Registered: 02-03-2014

Re: Losing Web Interface

I am quietly hopeful that I have found the cause (and solution) of my various problems noted on this and another thread:
I have two network devices on my network that previously were set up with static IP addresses: a WD network disc and a Buffalo WAP (the previous router did not have wireless and I have kept this one as it provides better physical coverage) In the case of the latter, a DHCP IP presents a problem in finding the interface.
What gave me a clue about the causes were:
1. One of the times when the router re-set itself was around 6:00 am - not a time when I am normally using the systems!
2. I manually ran a backup to the network disc and it locked the router after copying abvout 15-20 files. This was repeatable.
I have now changed both to DHCP (the static addresses were not in the router's range) and the backup has run for a lot longer than hitherto, almost completed, fingers crossed I have not spoken too soon.**
At least this looks like giving me a working system in time for my next scheduled test period away from base (using a locally run web server)
However, it seems that the technicolor just cannot cope with network components that have self-set static IP addresses - it that is so then a clearly stated warning should be issued to anyone who may possible encounter the same problems.

** yup, it has now finished!