cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lose broadband when connect Sky HD box to phone line??

ren17

Lose broadband when connect Sky HD box to phone line??

Hi, I'm new to the forum and new to Plusnet as of yesterday.
Switched over from Tiscali/Talk Talk where I had no issues as far as the connection goes.
Since the Plusnet broadband became active it seems that the only way to keep the broadband working continually is to unplug the cable that connects my new Sky HD box to the telephone socket.
I am using a filter.
My sky box is in the front room and computer is in another room so it wouldn't be easy to connect the sky box and router via an ethernet cable (which I gather I need to do to get the full sky on demand anyway - though that may be a separate issue anyway!)
Has anyone come across this problem before of the Sky box causing the broadband to drop out? And does anyone know how I might be able to get round this problem?
I'm using a Thompson TG585 v7 router if that is of any consequence, and as I say this wasn't an issue two days ago while I was with Talk Talk, so not sure why it's just become a problem.
Any help or suggestions gratefully received and thanks in advance!
Ren 
6 REPLIES 6
CX
Grafter

Re: Lose broadband when connect Sky HD box to phone line??

Hi,
Try chaining two filters together, for the Sky box. It has been reported to help.
Are you using the same filters that were working well with TalkTalk? If you're using the new ones supplied with the Plusnet router, perhaps one of them is faulty.
Failing that, it would be helpful if you can work out the wiring arrangement of your telephone extensions (e.g. are all extension sockets daisy chained from each other, or a star layout from a junction box somewhere)
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

I think this has to be a faulty filter so I'm guessing you did change the filter.
picbits
Rising Star

As CX says above, historically some Sky boxes have had to be double filtered to stop some broadband issues.
markm9
Grafter

[table][tr][td]Since the Plusnet broadband became active it seems that the only way to keep the broadband working continually is to unplug the cable that connects my new Sky HD box to the telephone socket.
[/td][/tr][/table]
If you are out of your contract with sky ( 12 months), you need not plug hd box into phone socket, or as is already stated, change filters, or double filter your hd box.
My sky box is in the front room and computer is in another room so it wouldn't be easy to connect the sky box and router via an ethernet cable (which I gather I need to do to get the full sky on demand anyway - though that may be a separate issue anyway!)
I connect my hd box using homeplugs, quick and easy way to set-up, or sky do sell their wireless connectors currently selling for £21.95.
ren17

Thanks for the advice guys.
I didn't go for a router from Plusnet so I'm still using my existing Thomson router.
Everything else was exactly as it had been two days previous when all was working fine with Talk Talk.
In other words I didn't change or move filters at all, just literally tried to reconnect with the Plusnet settings, which is why I was surprised it didn't work.
But I will check the filters anyway and try the double filter on the sky box phonepoint to see if that corrects things.
The homeplugs might be the way to go as well.
Thanks again.
Keep you posted if I can't manage to resolve!
CX
Grafter

Do you know - is your sync rate with Plusnet any different to what you had with TalkTalk?
Perhaps the Sky box has always been degrading your connection, and the TalkTalk DLM (assuming it was LLU) had raised your target noise margin to compensate (with a resulting lower speed). Now you're on BT's network you'll start out at on a 6dB noise margin until the DLM decides the connection is unstable. Just a theory.