cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Loop connection detected

g10vanni
Dabbler

Loop connection detected

I've been having problems with the internet dropping out after about 2 - 5 mins after being on line, I contacted Plusnet on Thursdauy evening and was asked to check my phone line, and at first my phone line was clear and okay, they then started to develop different faults, crackling sounds etc. They did a test and said I had a Loop connection detected PSTN fault and have arranged for engineer to visit Monday, meanwhile after disconnectng my phone and router from sockets and tried to phone my landline ( as a test) it was constantly engaged, then it would clear , the back to engaged although nothing was in a phone socket, On Friday morning at first still no internet but after a while everyting is almost back to normal except my broadband speed which was usually between 6-8mb now dropped down to 3mb.

Hopefully the engineer will discover something on the line and I can get my speed back to normal

5 REPLIES 5
198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

Re: Loop connection detected

@g10vanni 

Sounds like there's definitely a problem with short-circuiting (loop). Hopefully the engineer's job notes include the 'intermittent' aspect.

If you get the chance to speak to the engineer, make sure s/he knows it's intermittent, so they don't just do a quick test and scarper.

Good luck.  🤞🏼

Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
g10vanni
Dabbler

Yeah will definitely let the engineer know that it’s intermittent

Thank you
g10vanni
Dabbler

Finally got this checked out by BT and all my wiring is ok, he discovered that when my router was plugged it the fault occured and that my line was showing 6mbps, plug in the router and the speed would drop to 3mbps, replaced master BT and another internal socket and once router is connected speed drops to about 3mbps

Got myself new Plusnet Hub One hoping that it would cure problem but still only getting about 3mbps, Plusnet tell me that iys an acceptable speed ( I usually get about 5.5 - 6mbps). they evem sent me texy saying they plug you router into test socket ( with no other devices plugged in) and leave it for 3 days sp we can re-test if the fault is with internal or external wiring...just had all this done

frustrated

aesmith
Pro
Fixes: 4

@g10vanni wrote:

... still only getting about 3mbps, Plusnet tell me that iys an acceptable speed ( I usually get about 5.5 - 6mbps). they

Common problem with Plusnet, no doubt their citing their famous "estimate".  Unfortunately that's just how Plusnet are, if their "estimate" says you might only get 3meg then you'll struggle to get them to lift a finger.  This was actually why I left them in the end.  In my case their "estimate" was around 1/4 of the speed I had with my previous supplier, and which I now get with my new supplier.

g10vanni
Dabbler

Had the line reset last night and all back to normal so far, getting my normal 6.5mbps download

thanks to the tech guy