cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking to replace TG582n with ASUS RT-56u. Any issues?

windsortg
Grafter

Looking to replace TG582n with ASUS RT-56u. Any issues?

I had fibre broadband installed a few weeks ago and I find the wireless range poor with the supplied TG582n router from PN. I'm looking to replace this router with the ASUS RT-56u router which has had some good reviews especially on its wireless range.
I VPN into the TG582n to connect into my company network and I also have a work router that is physically wired to the TG582n router. I have an IP Phone that is physically wired to my work router. I usually connect wirelessly to my Cisco work router but other devices in the household are connected wirelessly to the TG582n router.
Am I likely to experience any VPN issues with the 56u router as well as being able to connect and use my work router?
13 REPLIES 13
Bright
Grafter

Re: Looking to replace TG582n with ASUS RT-56u. Any issues?

Just to clarify, do you mean the Cisco router sets up a VPN connection to your work's VPN server through the TG582n?
If that's the case then you need a router that supports NAT pass-through for the relevant VPN protocols. I have a RT-N66U which supports pass-through for PPTP, L2TP and IPSec. I believe the RT-N56U now runs AsusWRT firmware, which I think is more or less the same as the 66U firmware. Someone who has a 56U should be able to confirm that. Do you know which type of VPN is used by your work router?
If the IP phone connects to your work network via the VPN connection from the Cisco router, then it should be invisible to the TG582n/RT-N56U - as long as the VPN works then the IP phone should work (that's the theory, anyway!).
If you're looking for advice from people who have tried this configuration, you could have a browse through this SmallNetBuilder forum, and ask there if you can't find a specific answer.
tijara33
Pro
Fixes: 6

I believe the RT-N56U now runs AsusWRT firmware, which I think is more or less the same as the 66U firmware. Someone who has a 56U should be able to confirm that.

I have an excellent Asus RT-N56U which is running the latest firmware 3.0.0.4.342. How do I tell if it's "AsusWRT firmware"?
Bright
Grafter

Quote from: tijara33
How do I tell if it's "AsusWRT firmware"?

Does it have an admin page that allows you to enable/disable pass-through for VPN protocols? On my router it's under WAN -> NAT Passthrough, but I'm running the Merlin firmware, so some of the management pages are different.
tijara33
Pro

Does it have an admin page that allows you to enable/disable pass-through for VPN protocols?

Yes, that's on the WAN tab, the same as yours. I don't make use of it because it's way above my head. Roll_eyes
Bright
Grafter

Great, so it looks like the N56U should work for windsortg if the Cisco router is using one of those standard VPN protocols.
dsw
Grafter

Is the wireless signal on these Asus routers actually as good as made out? Am considering getting one too.
Bright
Grafter

@dsw
Have a look at the reviews/tests on SmallNetBuilder, where they do comparative tests of wifi throughput at 6 different locations in their test environment.
RT-N66U
RT-N56U
RT-AC66U
(right at this moment SmallNetBuilder's web server seems to be having problems - it's usually fine though).
My own experience (RT-N66U) is that the wifi performance is better than other routers I've tested - it's able to provide adequate coverage in a couple of rooms that had no usable wifi signal at all with most other routers I've used (Technicolor, Netgear, Draytek).
windsortg
Grafter

@Bright - the Cisco router is hard wired to the TG582n router and creates a VPN through the TG582n router. Will the RT-N56U support this? I also, by choice, VPN to my work network directly via the TG582n router. Will the RT-N56U be OK for this in both situations?
Would I need to change any of the settings on the RT-N56U to connect to my work network if I either directly VPN via the RT-N56U router or through my work router (which will be connected to the RT-N56U router) ?
The RT-N66U is quite a bit more expensive than the RT-N56U which is why I'm going for the RT-N56U router. Is there a major advantage in having the RT-N66U over the RT-N56U router?
vetterlein
Grafter

I got the RT-N66U the wireless signal is amazing ....solved a very odd problem I'd been having with my wife's android phone ... where she could not read attachment to email ....could read e-mail just not an attachment  ..... looks like the connection was dropping (a lot) but Android just reconnected .... long enough to sync  an email but  connection based xfer used to get the attachments would fail.
I also have FTTC but because of my network topology I use the Asus in AP (access point) mode  ... but it did seem to offer the PPPoE needed to replace the techicolor  (just note your userid/password into is stored there ... so take a note)
One thing to be aware of with Asus ...it puts out a LOT of power. The shelf I stood it on got warm. I put a place-mat under it ... the mat has warped
My Technicolour is near my head (on wall about 2 ft away) O would not want the Asus that close .
tijara33
Pro

My RT-N56U is 3 rooms away & 1 floor above. I get no speed loss via wireless using either the 2.4 or 5.0 Mhz channel & both give a 5x5 signal on my laptop. The 582n used to lose 50% over the same distance.
Bright
Grafter

Quote from: windsortg
the Cisco router is hard wired to the TG582n router and creates a VPN through the TG582n router. Will the RT-N56U support this? I also, by choice, VPN to my work network directly via the TG582n router. Will the RT-N56U be OK for this in both situations?

Should be fine, as the Asus router supports VPN pass-through for the main VPN protocols - this is a way to get VPNs to play nicely with NAT. It depends exactly which VPN protocols your Cisco router and PC client are using. I use a L2TP over IPSec VPN connection from my Macs to a couple of remote VPN servers through my RT-N66U. These work fine.
But the proof of the pudding... etc! VPNs can be a bit complex, but usually work with most modern routers.
Would I need to change any of the settings on the RT-N56U to connect to my work network if I either directly VPN via the RT-N56U router or through my work router (which will be connected to the RT-N56U router) ?

Shouldn't need to as long as the Cisco router and Asus router use different sub-nets, so the two routers know how to communicate with each other. VPN pass-through is enabled by default.
The RT-N66U is quite a bit more expensive than the RT-N56U which is why I'm going for the RT-N56U router. Is there a major advantage in having the RT-N66U over the RT-N56U router?

No. The N66U just a newer model with a different hardware architecture (different processor and chipsets, I think), slightly more powerful in terms of absolute throughput (which shouldn't be a problem for you on FTTC), and it also runs the custom firmwares produced by Merlin and others. I believe there are some custom firmwares for the N56U, but they are made specifically for this router architecture/model. So unless you need the features of eg Merlin's firmware, then there is no strong incentive to buy the N66U. Have a look at the thread on the N66U if you want to know more about that model and the firmwares.
vetterlein
Grafter

Not attempting to prefer the the 66 over the 56 ... the choice was simply that, I let my Son choose, and he seems to have a simpleminded selection mechanism  .... bigger , better , faster  ...if it costs more it must be better 🙂
windsortg
Grafter

I have finally bought the ASUS RT-56U router and connected everything up this evening. However, my Cisco router will not connect to the ASUS router. I cannot get a VPN connection between the Cicso router and the ASUS router. It was working fine with the TG582n router.
Is there anything I need to change on the ASUS router side or the Cisco router side?
I also have a vodafone sure signal box that was working fine when connected to the TG582n router but this too is not working when connected to the ASUS router.
Please help as I really need to use the IP Phone that is connected to my Cisco router