cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking to renew contract Modem Tech question.......

FIXED
Kryten
Rising Star

Looking to renew contract Modem Tech question.......

I have fibre to the cabinet and copper to home. I'm using a TP Link mesh system (No internal modem) connected to my original Plusnet BT Modem installed when I switched to fibre. It's a Huawei EchoLife HG6012 (FTTC VDSL NTE). When I go through the Renew contract procedure I am offered a new Plusnet router. Does this mean I will have to drop my mesh system or can the Plusnet router be configured to be only a modem?

Thank you.

4 REPLIES 4
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 268

Re: Looking to renew contract Modem Tech question.......

Fix

Yes, the Hub2 can be configured in modem-only mode.

John
pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 21

The short answer is no.

You'll have a few options.  If you are just renewing like for like (staying on FTTC) then you could keep your setup exactly as it is without a problem.  If you take a Hub 2 when renewing, then you could put it in bridge mode and replace your HG6012 with it, with your mesh system just as it is.

If when renewing you went for FTTP (Full Fibre) then the HG6012 would just be replaced with the ONT which would be installed by Openreach.  If you were to go for higher speed Full Fibre then we'd likely need some more detail of what the TP Link unit is that you're using to advise if it would be able to cope with the higher speeds, or if it would likely cause a bottleneck.

Edit: @jab1 types faster.  My no was to if you would need to drop the mesh!

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Kryten
Rising Star

Thanks John. Top man.

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 53

@Kryten 

If you are happy with your current set up then there's no need to take the PN Hub2 (save on postage).

However, I would take it and keep it a a backup in case anything goes wrong. Plug it in once in a while to ensuse it's up to date with router Firmware and you know you're covered.

Brian