cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking to rejoin PN

Grafter

Looking to rejoin PN

I looking for alternatives to O2, which has been my provider for the past month (horrific service) having previously been with PN for some years, but got fed up with paying £15 a month for a 3.5MBPS service. O2 claimed my typical speed would be 7MBPS, whereas in reality it is 5.5MBPS (figures from BT). Just done a similar check here, and PN claim my typical speed will be 5MBPS, again figures from BT (I was previously getting 3.5MBPS from PN a month ago). I assume that this "5MBPS" will also be reduced to around 3.5MBPS in the same way that the O2 speed was. If that is so, I can't see much point in coming back, or have I missed something?
37 REPLIES 37
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Looking to rejoin PN

If you post the stats from your router - noise margin, speeds and attenuation - we would have a better idea.
Are you on O2 LLU or O2 Access
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi 430,
This isn't necessarily true, where as the speed estimates are by their nature not an accurate reflection of the speed you should expect they can be a good indicator. So in saying that we would be confident that your speeds should be around that level, if they fell well short of that mark (say around the 3-4mb mark) we would do all we can from a support point of view to investigate it and see if there is anything we can do, then if we can't we'd give you as detailed an explanation as to why as we possibly can. As Oldjim says post your router stats on here as these should reflect what speeds you can currently get, but remember that these stats are not set in stone and can change due to various factors including faults.
We would invite you to give things a try with us again and if you were not happy we would do all we can to help.
Let us know if there's anything else you'd like to discuss and I am happy to take ownership of your order to make sure your move to PN (should you decide to do so) goes smoothly (as I have already done with some other users that have posted on here).
Adam.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Grafter

I'm pretty sure I'm not on Access, as I think that's a limited download service, and mine is unlimited (supposedly). Unfortunately I don't know how to find / post router stats. - It's a Netgear DG834GT
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Have a look here http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/frogstats.php
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Oldjim
Resting Legend

go to the router home page - probably this link and click on Show Statistics at the bottom - you should see something like this
Grafter

Hope this is correct:

System Up Time 04:13:16
Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
WAN DHCP Client 27273 36112 0 456 2325 04:11:59
LAN 10M/100M 356 0 0 7 0 04:13:14
WLAN 11M/54M 36576 27511 0 2359 431 04:13:12

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 6958 kbps 1200 kbps
Line Attenuation 50.0 db 30.2 db
Noise Margin 5.6 db 5.6 db

Hi Oldjim,
All the speedtests sites give similar results, averaging 5.5MBPS using a wireless connection. Running Windows XP. Not sure why it shows my ISP as BE (owned by O2 I know) but I'm with O2.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

When you refer to speeds you must be referring to speedtests - which ones are you using, are you connected by wire or wireless and which operating system is on your computer
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Hi again 430,
Don't worry too much about running tests and gathering stats for now, however it does sound like your speeds are already quite close to the estimate we've given which may indicate that your line is working well.
As mentioned before let us know if you would like to give things a try with us.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Grafter

Hi Adam,
I guess there may be an element of "better the devil you know" in this, and I wasn't expecting people to fault-find my current conection (but thanks anyway). My question really is how realsistic is the speed estimate of 5mbps from PN / BT,  which compares to a real actual speed of 5.5MBPS from O2?
I've also just checked the status of my exchange (Rainham Kent) using one of PN's tools, and it says that adsl2 is due to go live between 1-31 March 2010. I assume that this has not yet happened though. Does this mean that that when the upgrade goes through, speeds on PN will increase to at least match those that I'm getting with O2, or is O2 not adsl2?
Sorry for all the questions, but there is no point in me returning for a lower speed if that is the case.
Thanks
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Hi 430,
That's more than a fair question. As I've already mentioned we can't unfortunately tell you the exact speed you'd be getting with us, however I will stick my neck out and say that our estimator can be conservative with the results it gives so you may get more than 5mb with us.
Upon checking other information sources about your exchange it looks like ADSL2 is indeed available, our usual policy is just to put you on this straight away if it is available.
If you are still wondering if it's worth it, I advise everyone pondering the same thing to consider other factors in making your decision. We fully understand how getting the best possible speeds is important to our customers but I always promote our award winning customer support team and other considerations like value for money.
And don't apologise for asking questions, it's part of what we're here for and we welcome it Smiley
Adam

Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Grafter

Hi Adam,
Not sure that I wan't to go through a migration without being reasonably sure that I'm at least going to get equivalent speeds to my O2 service, and  I understand that you can't predict what I'm likely to actually get, so I'll have to assume that it's 5MBPS..
For me, speed and value for money are the key things. PN customer service (always seemed to be in SA, with phone connection / comms. problems) was one of the reasons I left PN. I didn't think O2 could be worse, but it is, and dramatically so (misleading customers is rife). For example,at sign-up I was told that 2 support was all UK based. It turns out that it is based in India!

Thanks for your help anyway.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

No problem 430,
Give us a shout any time Smiley
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Grafter

Quote from: _Adam_Walker_
No problem 430,
Give us a shout any time Smiley

One last question if I may:
Per Kitz, my exchange. Rainham Kent is 21CN WBN enabled for broadband only (is this the saqme as adsl2+?), and the BT line speed estimation is 5.5mbps. Services are available from several other isp's from that exchange. Speed estimations from the likes of Sky, and PN are 5-6 MBPS, which is what I'm getting with O2. Am I right in thinking that, from the same exchange, my speed from all providers will be about the same? If so, the choice for me comes down to price alone.
smiffyb36
Grafter

That's my understanding 430. If the bb is provided on the same network (ie BT lines) the speeds you can expect will be about the same anyway.