Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for a router upgrade

dave1240
Grafter

Looking for a router upgrade

Hello all,
I am using the Thomson router version TG585 V8 and I was wondering if they is a chance I can get the upgraded Thomson router with the usb sharing port?. I am 90% sure been with plusnet 3 years I have never been supplied a router, my Thomson router was from eBay.
I am having some strange problems lately and want to upgrade my router on the cheap. I paid £35 for the Thomson and to be fair for its age has been awesome just lacking a needed usb slot for a printer. I also paid £40 for a netgear dgn1000 (?) and this was like throwing money into the wind. The wireless always kept dropping connection every 30 min and would not return until a hard reset was done.
I am looking for a router with usb sharing with good reviews or personal recommendation and I am looking to pay around £40 again. My most important machines are connected with powerline adapters but a consistent working wireless is a must. I will probably be heading to Amazon or ebuyer if plusnet cannot help with a upgrade.
Thanks for any help.
10 REPLIES 10
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Re: Looking for a router upgrade

The one with the usb port is limited to the fibre installs now (I believe from what has been said on here) you maybe able to get one but it is doubtful.
apjashley1
Grafter

Have you considered a BT HomeHub 3?
As Plusnet is a BT-group company you can run one (on ADSL) without any modification.
It has a USB port and very reliable wireless (checks for interference from nearby electrical equipment).
You can usually find them on eBay for about £15 brand new.
kelvin
Grafter

I think the suggestion to get a BT HomeHub 3 is better than replacing with the standard PN router as the latter is poor for wireless. Mine gave no or very limited connectivity for the first few days (I was connected on 18/3) so I bought an ASUS RT-N66U router which has been recommended by others on this site. Mine is still unwrapped as connectivity rather mysteriously greatly improved over the last week but was back to being very poor for the last couple of days. Mine will now be unwrapped and connected.
dave1240
Grafter

I will have a little bid on a BT homehub ending soon :-).
dave1240
Grafter

Does this have a inbuilt modem I have ADSL not fibre?.
apjashley1
Grafter

Yes it has a modem - it's for both ADSL and fibre. On plusnet, it'll only work for ADSL unless you hack it.
dave1240
Grafter

Thank you! I have won the auction 🙂 brand new BT homehub 3 £5.
Hopefully setup will be easy and I was wondering does ''hacking'' provide any benefits ?
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

It lets you use it on any provider. On the HH1/2 you could add additional sip clients so you could use the voip phone. The 3 doesn't have voip.
apjashley1
Grafter

No benefits really if you're on Plusnet ADSL - hacking makes it usable on non-BT-group ISPs.
Of note there are two types, the Home Hub 3a and the Home Hub 3b, and only the 3a has been hacked as of yet. It does auto-install the latest firmware from BT's servers, and it seems the latest firmware update prevents the firmware from being downgraded in the future.
Devonian
Grafter

I was with BT (sorry) when the Homehub3 was just released and I was provided with 1.
It wasawful, it worked well for a week, then the wireless went crazy, it connect at the slowest speeds.. I was sent 4 different routers by BT, all had the same problem.
Eventually I traced the issue.. every time my tv was on, it was causing the wireless AND wired to drop or come to a crawl.
As the phone socket is under the tv, what chance did I have!
The home hub 3 hates plasma tv's!
Interestingly, no other router that I have used has this problem.
My current router Netgear N900, gives exactly the same speeds via wired or wireless to my laptop and PC and is amazing, so personally I would go down that route.
My Netgear has been running for for months now with the only disconnection coming from PlusNets end.