cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for a fast new router. Any suggestions?

acarneiro
Grafter

Looking for a fast new router. Any suggestions?

Hey, clever people!
I have a 2nd Generation Time Capsule which is providing the PPPoE connection to my VDSL modem, which has recently been installed.
I am getting a broadband connection of 80Mbps downstream and 20Mbps upstream, as I live only a few metres away from the cabinet.
Unfortunately, it appears my Time Capsule is currently struggling with multiple concurrent connections, especially with multithreaded downloads. Whilst it does just about cope with all the download threads on one machine, the rest of the network goes pretty much unusable and the Time Capsule itself stops responding to any SNMP requests, which suggests that its dated chipset is just not up to the task.
I am looking for a good quality wired router that might replace this Time Capsule. I have a Time Machine server on my Mac Mini Server and multiple Wireless access points in the house so I'm not necessarily looking for a wireless-capable router.
My main requirements would be a router that can negotiate a PPPoE connection with high bandwidth capability with multiple concurrent connections. A built-in VDSL2 modem capable of profile 30a would be a plus, but not strictly necessary. Is there such a device up to £200(ish) price range?
Any thoughts would be great! Cheesy
5 REPLIES 5
oXo

Re: Looking for a fast new router. Any suggestions?

Hi
The Draytek 2760, 2760n, or 2760Vn matches the specs you need.
Check out this thread ...
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,123848.0.html/
L8rs
redbull2k14
Grafter

google this one. asus dsl-ac68u
acarneiro
Grafter

Thank you both, guys. I'll have a look at both models you've suggested. I'm quite partial to Draytek, actually, but the Asus seems to have some pretty good reviews. Ugly as sin, though Wink
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

acarneiro
Grafter

Thanks, Anotherone
I get the impression the DSL-AC68U has pretty much now taken the top spot in Asus' range. Seems liek it'll only be available in the UK in September, though.
I suspect I may well wait for it...