cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Long line and FTTC

Mav
Fixes: 515

Long line and FTTC

Decided to ask here rather than add to the heavy load in Broadband and Routers as it's an enquiry rather than needing actual help.
Our Line ADSL2 is quite long at around 2.6km by road according to Kitz. Our Att has recently risen from 49.5 to 52 and our sync ranges from 5200 to 5700 depending on whether it's a full moon  Cheesy
According to Kitz and Sam knows FTTC is due to be installed at the end of December this year. The cabinet (no 1) that supplies us seems to be 0.5 km away. Doing a bit of research it seems that, depending on the quality of the cabling from the cabinet, we could potentially get 60Mbps download (not sure what the upload could be). Have I understood things correctly?
Please feel free to move to Broadband and Routers if you think it would be more appropriate.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

23 REPLIES 23
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: Long line and FTTC

so long as your under 2.6km from the cab you should get 80% of the maximum speed depending on line quality for VDSL2 connection, current standards could see you achieve around 60/16 depending on the quality of the copper from the cab to your house, if your line is dodgy though you might be lucky to get 20/5
there are so many factors that contribute to the actual speed your only realistic option is wait until the cab is live and get a line estimate done (PlusNet normally show it as part of the signup process)  to see if its worth changing over for you, when I made the change my line was lucky to maintain a 6500/1024kbps connection on adsl (it was supposed to be an up to 20 meg connection but so many problems made it get downgraded to a fixed connection) now I get a pretty stable throughput service around 60/16 (the line is actually syncing around 70/20) so it was one heck of an improvement,
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Quote from: Mav
Please feel free to move to Broadband and Routers if you think it would be more appropriate.

OK Smiley
and in answer to your other question, yes I think you've read it correctly.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Mav

Thanks for the replies. It doesn't look like we'll be moving from here for a while so I do hope the FTTC date doesn't get put back.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Quote from: nanotm
so long as your under 2.6km from the cab you should get 80% of the maximum speed

Typo or error?  Try 0.5km!
There's a useful graph on this page.
[Edit - Link fixed]
chenks76
All Star
Fixes: 12

link doesn't work
Mav

Yes, I had seen that link from another thread. Very useful, thanks.

nanotm
Pro

no I meant 2.6km, but my info wasn't related to BT's web page, but from a more trustworthy source that doesn't propagate myths to cover up there failure to utilise decent equipment, you cant get cross talk in a fibre link unless you failed to shield it and its suffered from ionising radiation, there dropping peoples throughput speeds as more customer take up the service because they don't have the backhaul capacity to provide the contracted service and are failing to upgrade that capacity because of cost, so propagate lies about why
pwatson
Rising Star

Grin Grin Grin
a)  The enquiry was about the length of copper from the cabinet
b)  Not rising to the bait about the ionising radiation nonsense suffice to say that you were wrong last time you brought it up and you still are!
chenks76
All Star
Fixes: 12

Quote from: nanotm
no I meant 2.6km, but my info wasn't related to BT's web page, but from a more trustworthy source that doesn't propagate myths to cover up there failure to utilise decent equipment, you cant get cross talk in a fibre link unless you failed to shield it and its suffered from ionising radiation, there dropping peoples throughput speeds as more customer take up the service because they don't have the backhaul capacity to provide the contracted service and are failing to upgrade that capacity because of cost, so propagate lies about why

hmmm... careful your tinfoil hat doesn't fall off!
conspiracy theory or what!
nanotm
Pro

Quote from: pwatson
Grin Grin Grin
a)  The enquiry was about the length of copper from the cabinet
b)  Not rising to the bait about the ionising radiation nonsense suffice to say that you were wrong last time you brought it up and you still are!

of course just like everything you don't understand you call it total nonsense here's a link to some documents you might be interested to read and become conversant with before spouting more tripe on the subject https://www.google.co.uk/?gws_rd=ssl#q=effects+of+ionising+radiation+on+fibre+optic by all means ask a question if you don't understand the subject, who knows I might even find a link for you but stop calling everything you don't understand rubbish it makes you seem stupid
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

What on earth has that got to do with discussing the speed drop in the copper section from the cab to the user
nanotm
Pro

the speed drop is down to using substandard equipment,
other companies user better gear and have much higher speeds over longer lines,
BT opted for bargain basement connection equipment instead of getting decent stuff that included vectoring (which they new was required before they started the customer trial on fttc)
the constant drop in sync rates and throughput is down to lack of backhaul capability not crosstalk,
cross talk would cause sync loss and is overcome either through restriction of channels in use per line (each channel is in 4Khz sized chunks and you get 4000 of them on the 17a profile (approx. numbers) that BT uses) or vectoring,
so without vectoring if you had crosstalk you would limit the channels in use to each line, (limiting those channels would have zero effect on sync speed and only in areas with more than 100 customers would it effect throughput speed as you would be limiting them to 10 channels or less each with channel filters on each line),
of course if you use vectoring equipment you can pump 100/40 on every line up to 0.5km but then you couldn't publish lies about why your cutting peoples speeds every time you add a new consumer to the fibre pipe.
the only possible way to get cross talk as everyone remembers it back in the old days of badly wired phone lines would be if the fibre optic pipes were affected by ionising radiation, which makes the two things inextricably linked to the utter garbage BT has been explaining to people for the last few years as they refuse to invest properly in the telecoms infrastructure of the UK but continue sucking in massive profits for the shareholders ....
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

pwatson
Rising Star

I think now would be a good time to lock this thread before nanotm digs himself an even deeper hole!
Mav has got his answer and nanotm's derailing of perfectly straightforward threads lost its amusement factor a long time ago...