cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Long handshakes and timing out

Dogcatcher
Hooked

Long handshakes and timing out

For the past week my internet connection sometimes fails to connect, times out or behaves itself.  I have made several phone calls to support who on Tuesday finally logged it as a fault but only when I could prove that it was a service issue. I await a response. Meanwhile a seach here shows that this problem was known about two years ago. Why doesn't support implement the solution because I am far too old and senile to follow the suggestions posted in this forum.

33 REPLIES 33
deank
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 14

Re: Long handshakes and timing out

Hi @Dogcatcher,

I can see that this has already been raised for you. Can you please link me to the thread where you have found the fix for your situation so I can take a look at it please.

Dogcatcher
Hooked

Click the fix link on https://community.plus.net/t5/Fibre-Broadband/Slow-website-loading-and-constant-timeouts-over-the-pa...

I've even understood it this morning and it s e e m s to be working.  Mine also occurred after a big Win 10 update. I think that I did ask support to reset my link but they said it couldn't be done on a BT connection. Does Plusnet not have its own DNS?

If it's still working in 24 hrs I'll cancel the ticket.

Dogcatcher
Hooked

Sunday. It's almost as bad as before. I can't do any work on line and this link dropped out several times.  I've heard nothing from Support

LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Hi @Dogcatcher, sorry to hear you are still having issues.

Did you manage to follow the steps provided in the other post you mentioned? When you say your link has dropped several times, could you clarify what is happening? i.e. Do you get a specific error? Can you get online at all? Are you using a wired or wireless connection?

Sorry for all the questions, it's just so we can get a better picture of the issue you are seeing your side.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
Dogcatcher
Hooked

Yes, I followed the steps in that link.  I also did what MS suggested (steps at end of this message)

The problem is found with all my browsers. I changed back to your router and both wirelessly and via cable the same thing happened on all browsers.  I changed back to my Netgear modem, same problem, I returned to my Orbi router/Netgear modem, same thing. I have repeated all these steps on my laptop instead of my desktop, same problem. Therefore I assume it to be some choke before or after the DNS, this I now have reset to Google's DNS. Connections speeds vary from being fast enough for me to think that I've solved the problem, to timing out, and failing to refresh a page that I'm using

I think that it's reasonable to say that the problem lies outside my control.  I first raised this 10 days ago and I may have to return to my former G4 connection because I can't do any work.

At the beginning I blamed this on a Windows10 update, but following all the steps suggested by MS I suspect that they are not guilty.

About 2 weeks ago there was an Open Reach engineer on our telephone pole looking for a spare line so that a neighbour could have a new or extra broadband connection. It could be that might contribute to my problem - or not?

I should mention that the speed tests that I have run show no problem, but the results take ages to reach me!

John

If you’re having problems getting connected to a network and can’t get onto the Internet, here are some things you can try in Windows 10.

Jubby
All Star
Fixes: 31

Hi @Dogcatcher

Please accept my apologies for the issue you are experiencing with your broadband service.

Can you ensure the DNS settings are reverted back to ours or obtained automatically and try the service on another device to see if the issue continues.

I have tested the line and replied to the fault report on your account which you can access here.

Thank you.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lewis G
 Infrastructure Operations Professional
Dogcatcher
Hooked

Many thanks. I have reverted to Plusnet DNS on all devices, both ethernet and wifi but dare I say that Google DNS never gave me this return Smiley Plus.JPG

LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Sorry to hear that @Dogcatcher, could you reply to the fault ticket and get back to us once you have done so. - Lauren

Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
Dogcatcher
Hooked

I have done, but subsequently asked them to hold off for 24hrs as things have improved at this end, though I think it may revert when traffic builds up tomorrow (broadband not commuters!)

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Hi @Dogcatcher

I've updated your fault ticket 181561286 for you.

Let us know if you need any further assistance.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Dogcatcher
Hooked

I expect that I'll need more assistance. I'm waiting for the ticket to be updated with the result of last night's work but from this end I see no difference Cry

EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 117

Hi @Dogcatcher,

I'm sorry that you're still experiencing problems with your connection and that you're awaiting an update on the latest test. I've had a look into this now, my response contains some account specific information so I've added it as a ticket to your account and you can view this here.

Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team
WasJohn
Grafter

No change for the better noticed here today Cool   The connection dropped out completely for a few hours this afternoon and it has been a real struggle to reconnect even your router, let alone the Netgear setup, which refuses to see any internet connection. On the internet it is the same as before, some sites work fine sometimes and some time out.

deank
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 14

Hi @WasJohn,

I can see that the drops in the afternoon were based on an incorrect password due to us doing a dial test on the line. Since then, however, I can see everything is looking connected fine and we didn't find any issues on our side when we performed the dial test. How is the service holding up today?