cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Long distances from exchange

Rikaitch
Grafter

Long distances from exchange

I have someone asking me about his broadband enabled exchange. He's about 6 miles from it, and in the past he's applied to several service providers and they all say they can help, but then back out when they have problems. Does anyone have any advice or assistance they can offer?
16 REPLIES 16
James
Grafter

Re: Long distances from exchange

I'm going to be very blunt.  Satellite broadband.
There is a point at which you just cannot gain a broadband service due to distance and being 6 miles from the exchange would certainly be symptomatic of that.  By all means, get him to migrate into us and we'll do our utmost best, but I wouldn't want to fill you with too much hope.
Sorry 😕
Rikaitch
Grafter

I know I know, or move closer to the exchange Grin
In fact, further investigation shows that he'll have his exchange upgraded in 2011.  The BT availability check shows him as being on a 250kbps exchange, so I'm wondering if it's worth all the hassle for him for such a slow speed. Mind you, anything has to be better then dialup with Tiscali for Gawd's sake!
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 4

We can give it a go as James says but expect instabilty. And a faceplate instead of filters would be considered a must as would no extension cabling.
Dave Tomlinson
Enterprise Architect - Network & OSS
Plusnet Technology
Simon_M
Grafter

Quote from: Rikaitch
anything has to be better then dialup with Tiscali for Gawd's sake!

PlusNet dialup it is then.  Undecided
My only comment on satellite would be to do some very thorough research on the potential providers. My experience is fortunately second hand, but my colleague (now a happy PlusNet ADSL customer after BT finally enabled her exchange) had a dreadful time with satellite.
Poor & intermittent connection & eventual withdrawal of the provider from the market. I get the impression that anything any good is going to be expensive, probably very expensive, but I'm several months out of date.
baldmechanic
Grafter

I would liketo comment on this topic of distance from exchange, i have been a customer of f9 now for many years, and most of those years i have been very happy, however when broadband came out i wanted it, F9 at the time could not help me, so BT did they installed a home highway system, and what a load of rubbish it was and the cost was way too high, after it faulted no end of times my money was refunded, i contacted F9 to see if they could help and they declined, but after telling them that BT fitted home highway they decided to give it a go, and hey presto it works (except when it rains, as it keeps dropping connection) now we are on the border of distance threshold  from the exchange and we live up on top of a mountain approx 1 mile form civies and we are one of two houses here, but we happily run at 512k, ok so i am not happy about everytime it rains it drops connection but to be fair to F9 they said they would give it a go and they did. and as i said we are a good few miles away from the exchange, and also BT have told us that they are NEVER going to renew the lines from our exchange as the cost would out weigh the usage, so that means 512k for ever  Sad but who knows Smiley By the way regarding the Sattelite version i did price it and that turned out to be a no no Sad
So thanks F9 for giving it a go, at least i am online Smiley
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Nice, that's always good to hear. Shame about the rain, hopefully we've seen the back of that. One suggestion, have you tried replacing the filters with an ADSL faceplate? For some people with really long lines they do make a difference (no guarantees of course they will always be limits).
As for the forever, well there is good news on the horizon, it's at least 3 years off, probably longer, but there's a technology on the way called VDSL2 which will move the DSLAM from the exchange to the local green cabinet. Being up a mountain your nearest cabinet may still be a way away but anything that will reduce the line length will allow for increased speeds.
Dave Tomlinson
Plusnet Technology
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

As far as I know us people out in the sticks (translation - in the rural depths of Dorset) won't get any nice green boxes so I am not sure how many of the long line users will benefit
scotsgringo
Dabbler

hi sorry to hear about your little problem, but i to have the same prob, i moved to this new address 2 years ago and went with plusnet, i was told after line checks that i would receive 2 meg great i thought, so on the date for activation now't !!! so after god know how many land line calls ( out of my pocket ) and 2 bt engineers and 39 days i did get my connection 512 yes that's my lot 512, but better than nothing..
problem was and  is i'm a few miles from the nearest exchange and the first engineer told me this the minute he entered my home, but p/net would not except this as they said it was bt who were to blame as they had told p/net i could receive 2meg, but every time i phoned p/net i was told they had to wait till bt sorted problems with exchange anyway it want on like this for yes 39 days, but it was being told yes sir it will be on by the end of the week sir just waiting for this one to contact us then i would phone bt and they would say the same thing, THAT WAS THE LONGEST 5 WEEKS  i have ever had not to mention the 20 or 30 calls which no one wanted to know about, but if i did not phone i would still be waiting now.
anyway sorry i'm going on but i do know what you are going through and just remember there are others out thier just like you... O THE NIGHTMARES LOL
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Quote from: Oldjim
As far as I know us people out in the sticks (translation - in the rural depths of Dorset) won't get any nice green boxes so I am not sure how many of the long line users will benefit

Do you not have them already? Or does your line just go straight to the exchange. The nearest one to me is at the bottom of my road, they moved it there after the last one kept getting destroyed by lorries with bad breaks.
Dave Tomlinson
Plusnet Technology
baldmechanic
Grafter

Undecided well i might have to eat my words guys, my problems with dropped connections are getting worse Sad Faults have been raised with Plusnet more frequently than ever lately, Bt came out twice, first time the engineer came out and he checked the phone line and he sorted that problem out, but would not look at the broadband as he was not trained to. I was hoping the phone fault and broadband fault was connected, but unfortunately it was not, Second engineer came out and he also was to test phone line not braodband, but luckily enough i knew him and he connected his laptop to thje socket and he could not synch and told me to report back to my ISP which i have done on numerous occasions, but to be fair to Plusnet the problem is intermittent. But i Have 2 big gripes (Victor Meldrew taking over here) As i have said before i live out in the sticks and there are about 4 farhouses in a radius of about 1000yards, there are 2 houses together and one of them is mine, unfortunately we do not get on well enough to talk to our neibhour, but having talked to someone who visits them, he informed me that they have BT home hub (actually when my laptop seaches for the WiFi his comes up) and they get no problems at all, also there is another farm about 800yards away and they are connected to a different exchange (Nelson exchange where i am pontypridd) and they get no problems at all. so My argument is why ME! I run a medion 8824 and a belkin N1 WiFi modem and it is secured, i am getting no end of dropped connections and sometimes it is of for more than 3hours, also my biggest gripe is USAGE how the hell am i going over the 13gb? I do not download only time i did was when i purchased this computer 2 months ago and the Warcraft and windows needed upgrades they were 1.2gb and 650meg in size. My modem connects directly to a adsl master socket on the wall and the phone plugs directly into that, so there are no other filters only the BT socket(with filter incased into it) am i doing something wrong Undecided has anybody else got a similar problem? i do not want to leave Plusnet, and again i have been in talks with another ISP regarding Sattelite broadband, and of course u get the usual promises from the two other companies which i will mention are SKY and Virgin. So i am really looking for some help from some one here  or someone who have had or as still got a similar problem
James
Grafter

Hi,
Can I just check if I have understood something.  You had a BT engineer sent out and he told you to tell us that your problem was intermittent?
Intermittent problems are a bit of a pain, because there are so many different things that can cause them!
I see that you are using your master socket, can I ask if you have tried using a different modem or router at any point?
baldmechanic
Grafter

:)hi James and yes i have now got 2 brand new modem/routers and one older one all made by belkin, i even went as far as to renewing the desktop (but that was an exscuce to the wife Wink ) and also we have 3 notebooks here that we use, so i can 100% rule out any equipment faults, and the BT engineer told me to report the broadband fault to my ISP, (which i did) and when they did turn up again the internet was on, so they said if it was intermittent then they would have hell of a job finding the fault, so back to square one, which is where i am still at Sad
James
Grafter

Thanks for that.
Have you had a broadband engineer (booked through us) out to your place at any stage?
baldmechanic
Grafter

wow fast response james Smiley erm No actually the only engineers that have called have been phone engineers, but the last one came out was a broadband engineer but he attended here as result of a lot of phone noise, and i asked him out of kindness and he was an old mate, if he would plug his laptop in and see if his box of tricks would work, he did and it did not, but what he told me was that he could not say anything because he was investigating a phone fault not a broadband fault, and for me to contact my ISP to which i did, and still in same boat at the moment.