cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Long Line Problem

x47c
Grafter

Re: Long Line Problem

The outside of the BT drop wire is really really tough stuff - quite different from normal electrical cable sheathing.
So trees themselves rubbing should not damage the lines - unless its been up there for decades rubbing away.
I live in a very wooded rural area and both mains electric and BT phone cables are run through trees everywhere.
A more likely cause of any damage is squirrels gaining access to it via the trees and chewing at the cable
(you should see the damage they do to lead roofs when they can get access to them and chew at the lead - pity they don't seem to get lead poisoning)
HughA
Grafter

Hi Matt
Forget about the reset for now as I've had another resync this evening. This has resulted in a slightly better downstream figure but a pathetic 160kbps upstream. This says line noise to me so I tried a quiet line test which gave me a continuous low frequency hum.  I'll repeat this at the test socket in the morning and if still there will report a voice fault to BT.  Will update you with the result.
HughA
HughA
Grafter

Tried the quiet line test again this morning using the same extension as last night.  Totally silent, not a trace of the noise I could hear last night.  I'll reboot the router now and see if the upstream sync has recovered,
HughA
HughA
Grafter

Reboot has restored the upstream sync to its normal 448Kbps and the downstream is slightly improved.
Guess I'll have to wait for a more permanent fault to show up before I can do anymore.
HughA
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Whilst it's obviously possible that OpenReach's current work in the area could be the cause, but which ever, if you have any sort of dropping connection, reboots can make DLM think it's worse, and raise the Target SNRM. Always better to follow this method in future -
Use this Disconnect method if you want to reboot/resync or swap anything about -
Do a Disconnect of your PPP Internet session with the ISP - you need to login to the modem/router interface and look for the Disconnect button to click on. On the Thomson modem/routers you will typically find it in the box marked Internet as shown here.
Now wait a few minutes, power down. Then wait 10 minutes (during this time swap any filters, modem/router, connect to test socket, etc. - it doesn't matter if you take longer than 10 minutes) and then power up again (You may need to login to the modem/router and click on Connect to re-establish the PPP Internet session). Check the stats immediately (The Noise Margin [SNRM] shown is usually the current Target Noise Margin).
I usually recommend you do this no more than 5 times in an hour, and then leave it alone for the rest of the day.  Remember the reason for this procedure is to help prevent the exchange DLM from thinking you have a dropping connection (or a worse one than you may have).
You can user the Disconnect/Connect (without a power down) to Gateway hop.
Hope that's helpful. Also hopefully Jojo or Matt will do a line reset for you, as under the current circumstances no obvious fault is present.  A single drop (not several in a day mind) now and again is unlikely to be a problem unless the cause raises noise levels.
HughA
Grafter

Anotherone
When I said a reboot what I actually did was a reset from the router menu, hopefully a bit more controlled than just pulling the plug out!
HughA
HughA
Grafter

Well the line has been stable for over a week now but I'm still on a 15db target SNR.  It would be really useful if Matt, Jojo or someone could action a line reset for me now.
Many thanks
HughA
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi HughA,
I've done that for you. It can take 24 hours to take effect though.
Jojo Smiley
HughA
Grafter

Thanks Jojo
That's taken effect already.  Synced at 3613Mbps now though I expect that to drop a little as the SNR adjusts itself to its usual 9dB,  Could you give my profile a nudge as its currently at 1.9Mbps.
Thanks again
HughA
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Changed to 3100 Smiley
HughA
Grafter

Thanks Jojo
HughA
HughA
Grafter

Hi Jojo
As expected my SNR dropped overnight to 9dB, 2.976Mbps sync and 2.62Mbps BT profile. Unfortunately the Plusnet profile which you increased to 3.1Mbps has reverted to1.9Mbps again. I guess this may be a delayed BT update?  Perhaps you could nudge it upwards again, I guess 2.6Mbps would be about right?
Thanks
HughA
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi HughA,
Just put it up to 2600, you should see the increase shortly.
Jojo Smiley
HughA
Grafter

Hi Jojo
I can see that you have increased my Plusnet profile to 2.6Mbps from 1.9Mbps but unfortunately my download speed seems stuck at about 2Mbps.  I am still synced at 2.976Mbps with a BT profile of 2.62Mbps so it seems that there is something else restricting the speed. Do I need to restart the router for the change to take effect or am I being impatient? I seem to remember in the past that speed increased as soon as the profile was increased.
HughA
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

You remember correctly. There should be no need to restart the modem/router. Don't forget the Disconnect method if you choose to do so at any time. It sounds like part of BTw's systems hasn't caught up with the other. Keep an eye on the profile and current line speed and if your throughput speed doesn't change in 24 hours or so, best to post back.