cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Log errors: IDS rate parser: udp rate limiting/IDS dos parser: udp flood

Razer
Grafter

Log errors: IDS rate parser: udp rate limiting/IDS dos parser: udp flood

From my router log, what do these error messages mean? Both from Iran, suspiciously ... or maybe not. Was playing my game and had very peculiar goings on, so checked my log to find these two entries.
Error Apr 14 17:53:28 IDS rate parser : udp rate limiting (1 of 1) : 2.184.225.35 ##.###.##.###[my ip] 0908 UDP 61883->4532
Error Apr 14 17:49:58 IDS dos parser : udp flood (1 of 1) : 151.238.245.49 ##.###.##.###[my ip] 0086 UDP 29349->4532
2 REPLIES 2
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Re: Log errors: IDS rate parser: udp rate limiting/IDS dos parser: udp flood

I assume they both refer to more UDP packets arriving in the set time than whatever the allowed limit is. I don't know how "udp flood" and "udp rate limiting" are different, I would have thought "flood" was worse than "rate limiting", but the Technicolor PDF about the firewall seems to give a lower limit and larger time for the "flood" threshold than for the "rate limiting" threshold.
You also don't know if the flood was due to someone deliberately sending all these packets to try to spoil your game, or if it was due to a heavily congested link somewhere between you and those Iranian IPs, which could cause the packets to queue up in a buffer, then all arrive in a sudden burst.
Razer
Grafter

Re: Log errors: IDS rate parser: udp rate limiting/IDS dos parser: udp flood

Thanks for that, ejs.
As for the game, I did tend to think it was purposeful because of obvious behaviours I saw in-game - I've seen them before from the same players, some which made me wonder if they were purposefully lagging the game to gain unfair advantage over other players, too. That said, I don't know if they are in Iran, so these log entries may have just coincided and it could have been another two players screwing around as well - or unrelated to the game completely. What I've never seen when I've seen (many) players cheating is log entries like this. This is the first time I've seen such entries and I always check the logs during and after gaming.