cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Local IPs

clwydian

Local IPs

I have accumulated dozens of devices that connect intermittently to my router. PCs, laptops, raspberry Pis, tablets, wifi power plugs, consoles, and guest all bring their own too.

Ive been pretty happy with connection speeds - but more recently I find some devices just say 'failure' when trying to connect BUT suddenly do connect when something else is turned off.   Im guessing I have clashing IPs.  Is this possible and is there a way I can force the rotuter to re-allocate all the currently connected devices so I can start again?Huh

Or do I need to go down the fixed ip route and is that likely to cause more trouble?

Carl

7 REPLIES 7
markhawkin
Pro
Fixes: 11

Re: Local IPs

You may be at the limits of what your router can support.

A well controlled process of IP address reservation is ideal, systematically reserving an IP address for a device (not setting a static IP address) and recording what you have set will probably sort you out.

As a second best, set static IP addresses outside the DHCP range of your router but within the subnet.

I am the satisfied customer....
Anonymous
Not applicable

@clwydian - I like you have a scary number of devices but I don’t use the Plusnet provided router. I also use my own DHCP server that allocates static IPs and I also tend to subnet the devices as well but this approach isn’t for everyone.

Are you not able to log in to your router and extend the IP range of the DHCP server? If you post what router type you have someone could point you in the right direction as to if it can be done and how to do it.

MrSilver
Pro
Fixes: 9

id guess there is a limit on the number of wifi connections the router can handle, there are 253 IPs that can be given out in the DHCP pool so the limit is probably before the IPs though

clwydian

Thank you both.  Sounds likely.  I wonder if the router is not selecting its pool from all of them.  Right I have some fiddling about to do. 

DS
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 22

Assuming you are using the PNH1...

The valid IP addresses are (default) 192.168.1.64 to 192.168.1.253 (192.168.1.254 is the routers UI address)

We can use 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.63, but these devices will not be seen on the home network screen.

This is the current warning, copied from the hub manager help files:

A warning message will be displayed if you choose an invalid set-up. If this happens, please change the set-up of your home network rather than the set-up of your Plusnet Hub. The default lease period is 1 day, there should be no need for the setting to be changed, but can be changed in hour steps from 1 Hour to 21 days

This routers other IP range is 172.16.0.64 to 172.16.255.254 (172.16.0.1 is the routers UI address)

It's also worth noting the following:

(I would have to say that PN have reserved this for a possible PNWiFi, the same as BT have already done)

To prevent conflict with future services, there are some combinations of IP settings that aren't allowed.

The 10.X.X.X range is not available for customer use as it is reserved.

Please always ensure that your Plusnet Hub’s gateway address is in the same subnet as devices on your Home network otherwise they will not be able to connect to the internet.

clwydian

Thanks.

Cant see what the router is unless Sagemcom 2704N means something.

I can't list the ips on the router dashboard - it sometimes tells me if I have a wired connection plugged in (but not always)-  my last router would show me what was connected where but even advanced settings lacks this info.

An IP scan from another program reveals just now that 4-10 12-13 15 and 28-29 are the only ones in use (0 and 254 being unavailable) -but then again everything is working.    I suppose rather than running out of ips I suspect odd devices (a pc yesterday and an old amazon fire tablet today) try and use a busy one....  today for example I wondered if the fire would connect to my phone hotspot - in turning on the phone hotspot i turned off the phone wifi and that instant the fire connected.  Then the phone wouldnt.....  rebooted it twice.   Then about ten minutes later, it did. 

clwydian

Ha I just looked up my router on the interweb.  It's pretty well despised Smiley   But I get much faster speeds from it then the reviewer so ...