cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Load Balancing Router

alegeek
Grafter

Load Balancing Router

Can anyone recommend a router that I can use for load balancing my two ISPS (Plusnet + TalkTalk), I have tried  http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004UC9V8Q/ - which isn't particularly great, but I didn't really expect it to be for £31. I'm not looking to bond the connections, just load balance them.
The TP-Link router allowed me to specify which connection handled specific tasks, but it didn't seem todo it very well and I'd like something that can do that Smiley
3 REPLIES 3
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Re: Load Balancing Router

Are you sure that's what you want to do?  Routers which support fall back from one WAN to another is one thing, but load balancing (especially via desperate ISPs) is dark black art.
So many environments require constant connection from the same IP address to function correctly.  Unless carefully and correctly configured, devices on your network could be perceived to be on two different IP addresses at the sometime.  Also some applications / services need to be connected via a particular route - e.g. SMTP.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

alegeek
Grafter

It would be nice if the device could handle load balancing, but a decent router than can handle failover would also be good Smiley
alegeek
Grafter

Incase anyone else needs a router that can either do fail over or load balancing, I went with the ASUS RT-AC68U. Although only had it a few days, initial testing shows both features to work excellently and the wireless range is amazing!