Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Live Streaming lagging - help with resolving

simon7685
Grafter

Live Streaming lagging - help with resolving

Hi
I hope I have put this in the right place, if not sorry.  I have a problem with lagging when I watch live streaming of football and it is driving me nuts, I am not really technically minded and don't know what to try to resolve the issue, so thought I might need some help.
I have Plusnet Fibre - up to 40 meg and this pproblem has started since a house move in July.  At my old place everything run fine and I was able to watch the live streamed football matches no problem.  Since the move it lags or pauses every few seconds for a second, maybe less but it is so annoying and really unwatchable.
I have run lots of speed checks and I am constantly getting around 36 meg on downloads and the problem occurs even if I plug an ethernet cable from the route direct into my laptop.  My laptop is an ACER V3 - 772G, it has an intel core i7 - 4702MQ processor @ 2.20 GHZ with Turbo boost up to 3.20GHZ.  It has 16GB RAM and the graphics are NVIDEA GEFORCE GT750M.
I don't have a clue what to try to resolve my problem and hope that someone on here can help me please.  I only have a basic knowledge of computers etc so please don't get too technical with me, or I won't have a clue what you want me to do lol!
9 REPLIES 9
tonycollinet
Grafter

Re: Live Streaming lagging - help with resolving

Do you have the same problem with Iplayer, or other video streaming?
Which site are you watching the football from?
simon7685
Grafter

I haven't noticed any problem with IPlayer but occasionally demand 5 can lag, although I think it always has been prone to that as it happened even before we moved. 
I stream the football through MyP2P.eu
simon7685
Grafter

Giving this a bump in the hope someone can give me some ideas on how to resolve it before tomorrows match...........
I bought a new high speed ethernet cable, just in cse is was that but there is still no imporvement.
xreyuk
Grafter

What are you trying to stream?
BT Sport/Sky Go? Or something else?
simon7685
Grafter

It depends on who is offering the stream, sometimes it is Sky Sports or BT Sport and sometimes it is CNBC Sport live. 
MyP2P gives you a list of live streams available and you click onto the match you want to watch.
I hope that makes sense?
xreyuk
Grafter

Yeah
Sky Go, BT Sport, Amazon Instant Prime & Netflix all use silverlight. Silverlight had a recent update that causes the problem you describe for me. It's silverlight, and not the internet that is the problem. All of the above providers have been unable to fix the problem.
Make sure you're up to date on your flash player and try to avoid silverlight streams where possible.
simon7685
Grafter

Thanks for the help, at least I know it is not my coneection now.  Sorry if this sounds thick, how can I tell if the stream uses silverlight or not?  Sorry I am not that bright when it comes to things like this.
tonycollinet
Grafter

Ok
As far as I can see, myp2p is a site offering links to pirate video streams. If I'm correct, it's because the (illegal) pirate streams don't have enough capacity to supply all the people trying to watch them.
It most likely has nothing to do with the capacity of your internet connection.
xreyuk
Grafter

Quote from: simon7685
Thanks for the help, at least I know it is not my coneection now.  Sorry if this sounds thick, how can I tell if the stream uses silverlight or not?  Sorry I am not that bright when it comes to things like this.

Right click on the video that's playing. It will come up for the options menu for whatever plugin the stream is using.
As above though, P2P streams for football etc are usually crap anyway, and it's not your fault but the person doing the streaming's fault.