cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Little point in having a high synch when not possible to change IP profile.!

Hobbit
Dabbler

Little point in having a high synch when not possible to change IP profile.!

Currently having a real problem with Plusnet despite being a customer since 2003 and knowing exactly how my line behaves.
Used to line dropping and synch speeds changing for various reason over the years. The thing is once the synch speed was established for a short time the IP profile of the line always increased in line with that detailed in 'Kitz' very useful ADSL web pages. Occasionally I would need to phone Plusnet to get them to nudge it back up again if it appeared to be 'stuck'. Always very helpful and happy to help.
In the last month my phone line connection was disconnected accidently by BT at the exchange due to a line card fault and when it was re-connected the broadband connection was not re-established. Line did not even try to synch , no broadband at all. Plusnet showed no interest and said they could not do anything until BT sorted it out. Despite it being a broadband fault and not a line fault they refused to even talk to BT!
Managed to discuss with BT myself and got a broadband engineer around who agreed it was due to pairs being changed at the exchange  for ADSL2 and tested my line to prove nothing wrong at my end.  Finally sorted and broadband re-connected.
SInce that time I am told by Plusnet (after me raising a question to ask) I am on ADSL2 but only still connected to ADSL 1 due to my line speed. This is best for me I am told?
My line is now synching at a higher speed than it has been for a while and I have done two full BT speedtests (in the main socket - no test sockets in my house - older socket which BT engineer says was fine). Plusnet copied on both these tests and finally had a phone conversation about it the other day. Upshot is that despite the BT speedtests confirming my line should have a much higher profile, Plusnet say they will not and cannot increase it due to some data they have from BT. A third party company which I cannot remember the name of (dynamic solutions?) but was mentioned by the guy I spoke to at Plusnet.
My line is currently synching at 3776 Kbps and the BT speedtester confirms my IP profile is 3330 Kps. Plusnet have my IP profile set at 2500 Kbps and say my line is down as not being capable of going any faster according to their data? My line has been solid at the 3776 Kbps synch for over 157 hours - logged in router stats.
Current line stats:
Synch 3776 Kbps (for over 157 hours)
IP profile set by Plusnet 2500 Kbps
Line attenuation downstream - 39 db Noise margin 10 db
Line attenuation upstream - 11.5 db Noise margin 27 db
The point of this is to ask what is the point of having data from BT and a line that synchs at a higher rate when Plusnet have data i do not that says they cannot change it. It is totally pointless having a BT speedtester facility if it means nothing. If it is something BT are doing that has me down  as slow connection why has it suddenly changed? I have been used to how my line has been for the last 8 years and have data to prove it. Why do Plusnet hide behind data and figures and use every excuse to me not to actually try and do something to help like they used to?
I have spoken to two other ISP and both agree it is not correct and have both offered to intervene on my behalf should o move over to the, This may of course be advertising hype, but Andrews & Arnold and IDNet are quite reputable as far as I know?
Have had my MAC code for nearly a month now and will probably have to renew it as still not decided where to go to yet. Any help or advice from others on here for me? Plusnet appear to be of little use to me now far as I am concerned. There support is now going back to the bad times they had a few years back in my opinion.
Some of the replies to my tickets have been absolutely crazy, it appears you take pot luck on the 'skill' / 'knowledge' of the person replying.
I have also noted some of my ticket history around the time my line was disconnected has now disappeared and is not visible to me any more - most strange. Is it because I said some things in the tickets Plusnet did not like and they have been erased?
Sorry for the long rant but needed to get all this of my chest!

7 REPLIES 7
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Little point in having a high synch when not possible to change IP profile.!

Regarding the IP profile
You have fallen foul of the fact that BT are changing the method of calculating the IP profile according to the BT speedtests but the Delta reports which go to Plusnet use the old system and for unknown reasons they fail to be sent.
This is due to be fixed from - I think - Dec 12th when the new system will supersede the old system completely
This thread covers it - if you want to read it I suggest working from the latest post backwards http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,97407.0.html
Hobbit
Dabbler

Re: Little point in having a high synch when not possible to change IP profile.!

Thank Oldjim for the info.
Why on earth could Plusnet not have told me this, if this is the reason for my problems?
Any wonder after being a customer for over 8 years and get such lousy support I am thinking of going elsewhere.
Thanks again for your info.
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Even with the old IP Profile system the value should be 3000kbps for a sync speed of 3776kbps, but BT's own systems might not have set that properly after the fault repair - and then communicated the new value to Plusnet. With quantisation which as Oldjim said is due to become fully operational next Monday Plusnet should set the Member Centre Current line speed to 3300kbps.
Even though you are on 21CN staying on ADSL1 is likely to give the best results for that sync speed. However the sync speed aught to be higher with an attenuation of 39dB. Possibly your default target noise margin has been increased for line stability or error rate reasons which would reduce sync speed. Do you know what target noise margin is set for your line (the noise margin shortly after restarting the router should be close to that value)?
David
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Hobbit,
I've changed your profile to 3300 and left you a detailed explanation via ticket/email. You should see the increase in the next 15 minutes.
Jojo Smiley
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Looking at the router stats you provided you have a potential problem.
With an attenuation of 39dB even with a noise margin of 10dB you should be seeing speeds in excess of 5000kbps.
Do you have a master socket with a removable lower section.
If so is it possible to connect the router to the test socket and report the stats
itsme
Grafter

Quote from: Hobbit

My line is now synching at a higher speed than it has been for a while and I have done two full BT speedtests (in the main socket - no test sockets in my house - older socket which BT engineer says was fine).
Hobbit
Dabbler

Thanks to Joanne from Plusnet for her input. It appears she at least had the understanding of my situation and clearly explained the problem in a ticket reply. It is a pity I had to raise this in the Forum to get any sense or acknowledgement from Plusnet about my situation.
Out of many tickets raised in the last month or so her reply was the only one which offered a full explanation. Makes you wonder what the ticket system is for at times when you always get a fuller and more accurate response from the forums.
Thanks also to the others who replied and gave some very useful information. Hopefully after the 12th Dec the two types of reports within BT on line profiles will become the one newer type that is reported correctly to ISPs and this type of problem will be rectified much quicker.
I realise my speed should in theory be quicker but it has always been at this level since getting broadband. There may be a problem some where between my line and the exchange, but even the BT engineer who tested it last month when the line was faulty could not find any problem within my house.  I only have an original BT socket, not a newer type with built in test socket. No chance of getting a newer one as I would have to pay BT to install and at their prices it is just not worth it. BT engineer said only way it would be free is if I changed to FTTC. Not really worth it as the speeds they estimate are unlikely to happen or make any real difference if my normal ADSL speeds are so low anyway. Unless of course they find a fault within their end of the system!
Thanks again for all those who offered input and advice, appreciated.