cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Linksys EA6500 as alternative router for fibre optic

Bullmoose

Linksys EA6500 as alternative router for fibre optic

Hi. OurTechnicolor router simply gave up the ghost and try as we might the power light continually goes back to red when powered up.  Tech support helpfully are sending a replacement as they diagnosed a hardware fault.
Having done some reading I think we might be better with something more capable as we have several devices in use at once, watch movies and the signal has to travels reasonable distance to reach some rooms.
PCWorld had no clue, but I chose the EA6500 given my price range.  Before I opened it I looked on a few other posts and some of these suggest problems connecting with plusnet?  Any advice before I open the box?!  Has anyone got this to work with plusnet?
Much appreciated.
3 REPLIES 3
bill888
Champion
Fixes: 38

Re: Linksys EA6500 as alternative router for fibre optic

deleted by zzZzz
ex-Plusnet (ADSL, FTTC) 2008-2023. now BT (FTTP) 2023-
Anonymous
Not applicable

The people at "Trusted Reviews" liked it ! - http://www.trustedreviews.com/cisco-linksys-ea6500-802-11ac-router_Peripheral_review
and the associated customer reviews seem very positive.
[quote=Trusted Reviews]Verdict
The Cisco Linksys EA6500 is not only the best 802.11ac router on the market right now, but it's also the best 802.11n router on the market too. Peak performance is exceptional, but where it really shines is range, hitting speeds far in excess of anything we have seen before. Furthermore, Cisco Cloud Connect is the slickest and most complete Cloud networking platform we have seen, with the inclusion of two USB ports extremely welcome, if long overdue. The cherry on top is a discrete, yet stylish design.

The majority of customer reviews on Amazon are positive - http://www.amazon.co.uk/product-reviews/B009OYONJW/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

The 'cnet' review looks good too - http://www.cnet.com.au/linksys-ea6500-339344180.htm
[quote=cnet]Conclusion
There is no denying how expensive the Linksys EA6500 is, but with performance like this, it's a price tag that is easy to justify. Long-range use is a reality with this beast, wiping the floor with other routers when the going gets tough

There will always be someone complaining and posting the odd bad review, because of the occasional faulty unit, or the user being too stupid to get a working configuration and blaming the device.
At the end of the day, if you can't get it to work as expected, then it is easier to take stuff back to PC World than it is at many other shops.
Bullmoose

Thanks for your reply.  In theory it looks appropriate and while I have some experience in using routers with broadband it's been a while since I've bought on and fibre is a new technology to me.  Just got a bit concerned at the few posts relating to its use withPN in particular.  Good to get advice from those who know their stuff.
Thanks