cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Linksys EA4500 - Have I bought the wrong router?

cornishrex

Linksys EA4500 - Have I bought the wrong router?

I have been grappliing with wireless problems for some time now (separate subject). One of my possible solutions was to replace the wireless router. I did my research, and decided that the new Linksys EA4500 was one of the new hot routers.
It does not have a built in modem, so I have been trying to put my old modem/router (a Netgear DG834G) into modem only mode, and connect the Linksys up to that. That seemed to be what various websites said was the way to do it. Cue numerous wasted weekends/evenings.
I decided that maybe trying to put a 2005/6 era router/modem into modem only mode and link it up to the Linksys was a recipe for trouble, so I decided to whizz out this morning and pick up a basic modem on the way to work, so as to avoid any potential issues with putting the Netgear into modem only mode.  PC World tell me that they do not sell modems, they only sell modem/routers. And that a router will not work with Plusnet. It will only work with BT Infinity.
Have I got this totally wrong? Have I gone out and bought a flipping expensive router (over 28 days ago) that will not work with Plusnet? And you cannot buy "modems" anymore?
THanks for any help. Everything has imploded so badly at home now that I don't even seem to be able to piece back together the original network connection with old router, so no internet at home .... :_( Cry
5 REPLIES 5
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Linksys EA4500 - Have I bought the wrong router?

Hi there,
And that a router will not work with Plusnet. It will only work with BT Infinity.

I don't obviously know the full context of what was said there but that doesn't sound right to me.
In theory you should be able to have this working fine if you can find a basic modem/router or just an ADSL modem (they do exist) you should be fine. To me it sounds like you would have preferred a router with a built in modem so do you have any recourse for returning/swapping this for something more appropriate? that surely would be the easiest option.
Adam
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Does this help? http://blog.crox.net/archives/40-Netgear-DG834-bridge-mode-PPPoE.html
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Anonymous
Not applicable

I currently run a Netgear DG834GT with several wireless routers attached, and have never bothered putting the DG834GT into modem only mode.
If you set the WAN address of your Linksys to an address on the same subnet as the Netgear, and then set the Linksys LAN subnet to a different value.
e.g.
Netgear DG834G LAN address = 192.168.1.1
Linksys EA4500 WAN address = 192.168.1.2  (or another address outside the Netgear's DHCP range)
Linksys EA4500 LAN subnet = 192.168.2.0
Linksys EA4500 LAN address = 192.168.2.1
Then in the Linksys EA4500, enable DHCP server, and set DNS values to 208.67.220.220  and  8.8.8.8
Reboot reboot the Netgear and then the Linksys, and everything should just work.
cornishrex

Thanks for all replies so far. It is very heartening to know it should work (so that I'm not COMPLETELY wasting my time). So I will keep going with it and double check tonight the suggestions that Purleigh made below.
Walker23 - thanks for the hyperlink - and that's exactly what I did to the Netgear. But Linksys would not then work and all internet was lost. Funnily enough, at some stage, I did get a sort of internet connection through the Linksys, but it was incredibly slow and would only download webpages. If I tried a google search (and I so suppose uploading information in order to get back the results) it simply would not connect. So I started all over again and never even got back to that state of play.
Adam Walker - I didn't even try and argue with the PC World man as I had a suspicion he was talking rubbish.  You're probably right re overreaching myself. But I have a habit of diving into IT kit far above my neck level and somehow, after several weeks, getting it to work and never quite knowing how I achieved it .....Its too late for me to take this kit back I'm afraid.
Fingers crossed that Purleighs' route works ..... I will try it tonight. Other Half is currently screaming blue murder at me for lack of internet.
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you leave the wireless LAN switched on in the Netgear, then remember to at least set the wireless channel number of the Linksys to a different value - perhaps 6 and 11.
I have my wireless routers spread about the house, connected by mains powerline adaptors to the Netgear DG834GT which is located next to the master phone socket.
I position the routers to give me the best wireless coverage in each part of the house, and each device has a different wireless channel and SSID - so I can pick and choose the best connection.