Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Line won't reset

ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Line won't reset

Let me begin by stressing that this is not a Plusnet problem, it's a problem With BT Broadband that I have been trying, and so far failing, to help with.  I'm looking for help from some of the technical experts on this forum.  Of course if Plusnet could fix this problem where BT have failed, that would be a big incentive to migrate over.  
The line has an attenuation of 55dB on an ADSL2+ (21CN) exchange but a few weeks ago it was syncing at around 2200kbps when the router (a Version 1 BT Home Hub) became faulty.  By the time the router was replaced, the noise margin (SNR) had risen to 18dB at which the best sync rate is 800kbps.  You can do a lot more with 2200 kbps than you can with 800kbps so I would like to get back to where we were before.  But two calls to BT where they promised to reset the line followed by a home visit by an Openreach engineer have all failed to produce any effect.  The line does not seem to be reset then revert back, it just doesn't change, stuck at 18dB target noise margin.  Can somebody with a bit of technical knowledge explain what we need to ask BT to do to liberate the line from being stuck in its current state?

7 REPLIES 7
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Line won't reset

Can somebody with a bit of technical knowledge explain what we need to ask BT to do to liberate the line from being stuck in its current state?

I wouldn't like you to get in a situation where you get stuck between ourselves and BT, especially as they will be aware of a lot more information regarding your line than we would be. However I think this may be a case of firstly asking them to test the line with the router first in its usual set up, then connected to the test socket. If the noise margin and sync speed seem better in the test socket leave it connected there and ask for an SNR reset.
Or you could migrate to us and we could do this for you Smiley
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

Thanks, Adam.  Unfortunately there isn't an NT5E-type socket and the Openreach engineer who visited didn't see fit to modify this.  I unplugged all the telephones but it made no odds.  The problem is that BT say they are going to reset the line, they've said this three times now, but nothing actually happens.  I'd like to understand what this means and how to get around it - if that's not a trade secret.     
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

hmm,
Well as I'm sure you understand we won't know exactly what they mean by that but IMHO I'd assume they mean an SNR reset. In case you weren't aware of what that is, it's done to usually set the noise margin to 6db and the line rate to 2mb (assuming the line can achieve higher) it then prompts DLM (dynamic line management) to retrain and recalculate the best possible speed to retain a stable service.
This process can take as little as 2 hours to take effect but can be as much as 24 hours.
Why not ask them if they mean it's an SNR reset?
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

Thanks Adam.  I have presumed what is being offered but not accomplished is an SNR reset; is there any other kind of reset?  I don't know whether Plusnet has direct access to the BT equipment or must go through an intermediary but there would seem to be a command a support engineer can send  to the equipment in the telephone exchange that is supposed to achieve an SNR reset.  I presume this is all done remotely without the need for manual intervention at the exchange.  You are supposed to wait up to four hours (48 hours in some accounts) for this to take effect.  But on occasion (this isn't the only time I have encountered this) the command doesn't "take" and nothing happens.
What I would like to know is what you can do when nothing happens in response to an SNR reset request/command.   
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Make a formal complaint to your ISP (BT) ?
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

We submit them via an online system, in a similar way to how we place orders with BT Wholesale services. Our only recourse if an SNR reset fails (and they sometimes do) is to submit another one.
My advice to you would be to look at the bigger picture and do what you can to escalate your issue in general than get too bogged down in getting an SNR reset done as they aren't always needed.
Adam
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

Thanks, Adam, I appreciate your advice about the "bigger picture".
But I'm still curious to know why an SNR reset sometimes fails.  Do you think this is just bad luck or indicative of some wider problem?