cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Line upgrade

Alan2010

Line upgrade

Hi, I have recently signed up to the phone and broadband package with PN. I was just wondering will my current phone line be upgraded to an ADSL/broadband line or will you just continue to use the line currently in place?
Thanks.
6 REPLIES 6
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: Line upgrade

Welcome to the Forum and PlusNet
I am on about a 40 year old wire and now synching at 16 M on a ADSL2 circuit, does that answer you?
Alan2010

Well without completely understanding the technical stuff in your post, I'm guessing the answer to my question is "NO"?    Smiley
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

The answer actually is that it should but sometimes it doesn't happen.
Once you are connected then a quick look at the router stats will tell you - if the upstream is 448kbps then you are on ADSL.
If you aren't a ticket requesting the change will be the easiest way and I believe that it only takes a few days to happen.
However given the present snow problem and B T's declaration of their equivalent of a "State of Emergency" it may take a little longer depending on where you live
Alan2010

Thank you both for you're replies. To change the subject slightly the master socket looks quite old (without a removable front plate for extensions), I know I'm not legally allowed to tamper with this but I remember a few years back in another property I was advised to remove the bell wire (socket 3 on the extension side) to help remove interference from the line and therefore improve the adsl speed, is this still correct or no longer necessary? 
pierre_pierre
Grafter

100% correct, remove the Bell wire at both end, your main socket and the far end
Have a look here for the socket types, lots more info, some very technical  http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/btsockets.htm
Alan2010

That's great, thanks for your help.