cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Line unstable - Target SNR margin set to 3db?

10megaton

Line unstable - Target SNR margin set to 3db?

I'm a new plusnet customer, broadband has been active with plusnet for about 3 weeks now. The connection initially appeared to be quite stable without many incidents of loss of sync with the line d/s syncing at between 6mbps and 7mbps and the Technicolour router event log reporting around 6db d/s SNR margin at sync.
Last friday something obviously changed (did the 10 day DLM training period end?) as we started getting frequent disconnects and the service was basically unusable for long periods, looking at the router event log whenever the modem synced the SNR margin at sync appeared to have dropped to 3db every time. I logged a support ticket (67442086) and had a reply last night that PN were going to have interleaving enabled.
I've read today that many other PN customers have had issues with the target SNR margin changing to 3db leading to an unstable line, and wondered if this has happened with my connection? If so could PN please have this changed back to 6db as the service has been unusable for long periods since Friday and I'd rather have a 6db SNR target margin if that produces a stable connection.
Cheers.
8 REPLIES 8
goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

Re: Line unstable - Target SNR margin set to 3db?

I had SNR of 3dB and never had any issues but Plusnet fault team say it usual to put everyones on 6dB default as the most stable one.
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Hi,
I'm really sorry to hear that you're having problems with drops on your connection. Your SNR Target is currently at 6db and your SNR is at 6db too. I've noticed that your line is dropping sync upon each drop. Do you have a different router just to try at all?
If you don't would it be possible to connect an alternative microfilter into your Test Socket?
I'm just looking to try and rule anything internal causing the issue here Smiley
goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro

Hi Chris Pettitt, can you check mine to see how is my 10 days training period so far, I think I got another 4 days left to go and the training is to target snr of three. Thanks.
10megaton

Hi Chris,
I've taken all the recommended steps, changed the filters, plugged the router into the test socket (the router is always connected to the master socket anyway) etc.
I did try an old Sky router I have just to check the sync and it also reported an SNR margin of 3db, I couldn't actually use this router properly as it doesn't allow you to specify a PPPoA login etc.
We did have the Technicolour router swapped over recently as the old one was making a high-pitched noise, the current router did seem to be ok after the swap.
goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro

Technicolour router is the worse router I ever seen many complaints on this forum. Have you got any spare Netgear router to try ?
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

@goldenadsl
I've just checked and you're right, you've got 4 days left. Your SNR Target is set at 6db but you're currently operating at 2.3db - Looks as though your line is pretty comfortable Smiley
goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro

Thanks Chris, Does it mean it will be reset to 6dB on 10th day, I hope not! I want to stay at 3dB.
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

No, it'll just stay where it is. Nothing will change as your line is looking pretty happy at it is.