cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Line training?! 10 days of hell!

Noodle78

Line training?! 10 days of hell!

In a January 'new year new start' mood I decided to cancel my SKY TV and also move my line and broadband to someone cheaper. I am on day 3. Apparently we are in a 10 day line training period (Ive never had this before) and its driving the whole family nuts. 0.68 - 0.93 download speeds so far and 0.14 - 0.25 uploads. We cant properly use the remainder of our sky package which cancels next week because we cant download anything and I am already regretting the switch. Why cant line training be done at a higher level? I dont understand these things and maybe its not possible but going from 7mbps to 0.68 is a shock and not something I can live with. 

9 REPLIES 9
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

Re: Line training?! 10 days of hell!

How are you testing the speeds, wired or WiFi?

Which router do you have?

Noodle78

Through the Plusnet page speed tester. I was doing it wirelessly as I don't have Ethernet on my MacBook. The router is sagecom - if it works as well as it looks then it's probably not good - very cheap and nasty looking thing. I never had an issue with Sky. Regretting the move at the moment.
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

It would be worth logging on to the router and seeing what speeds you are sync'd at, more info here.

I presume its the 2704n, which is not the best router you could use.

Noodle78

Thank you. I logged in and it was on the middle option. I upped it but it's made no noticeable difference. Can't download any tv etc still as it's just too slow. My kids and husband are giving me grief for going with Plusnet and my brother who works for BT (plus nets parent company) even said his is dreadful through them (wish he had told me before!) I'm extremely unhappy that the 14 day cooling off was from the date of order and my install wasn't until 15 days. If I don't see some improvement I will have to start fighting for a get out...it surely can't be anything to do with my line as I was achieving a lot higher with sky.
Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29
MrSilver
Pro
Fixes: 9

On any new line there is 10days where Openreach find the optimal speed of the line, this is a small variation to the first speed. So if it started at 7 <1 is a fault

If it stays like that and plusnet can fix you can likely still get out free as it's below the minimum thresholds

As above though try the btw speed test and let us know the sync speed the router is getting.

Assume you are running the tests from the same room if using wifi ?
Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

Hello @Noodle78 I'm really sorry to hear you're having speed issues.

Testing your broadband I can see that your service was incorrectly provisioned on the wholesale product of Home/Office 1000 which essentially caps the speed at 1 Mbps.

I've now placed a modify order with BT wholesale to provide an uncapped speed down your line. Once it completes by tomorrow at the latest, you should be getting speeds of between 7 Mbps and 8 Mbps.

Please accept my sincere apologies for any frustration this caused you.

This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
Noodle78

Thank you everyone for your help! Anoush, thank god someone knows what they're doing! I asked if I had been capped on day 2. Now I am getting nearer 6mb and it obviously is a massive improvement. Well it is more than x6 what I got yesterday! I actually downloaded a tv program! My kids will be v happy.
Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

No problems @Noodle78 I'm happy to hear you're back up to speed.

Once again, apologies for this. I've fed this back to the adviser that initially placed your order.

Anything else we can help with, please feel free to let us know.

This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button